1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

please help i cant figure out why my mini quad wont get spark

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 01:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jimbo - Any results on this?
I'm experiencing the same symptoms - weak spark and will not run.

thinking its coil but I to be sure before purchasing on - anyone please advise ..

thanks.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:12 PM
Trailblazer

I have a similar problem...Lynn are you saying that the stator wouldn't go "in and out" but rather just die? Not to jack the thread...but my atv has the same spark sometimes not others thing...do you think the stator might not be to blame at all? I haven't got a chance to check it yet. Thank you very much.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:53 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SundiroSunray90
I have a similar problem...Lynn are you saying that the stator wouldn't go "in and out" but rather just die? Not to jack the thread...but my atv has the same spark sometimes not others thing...do you think the stator might not be to blame at all? I haven't got a chance to check it yet. Thank you very much.
No, anything can be intermittent - including the stator. But so can the CDI, coil, spark plug, etc.

I don't know anything about Sundiro Sunray quads. I'm assuming it is just another of hundreds of generic chinese quads. Does this look like your CDI?

Name:  50cc-cdi.jpg
Views: 1428
Size:  19.2 KB

If not, can you describe your CDI, or better yet post a picture?

If this is a picture of your CDI then the first thing to check is whether your kill switch circuitry is to blame when you're not getting spark. Unhook the kill switch wire out of the CDI wiring harness at the CDI connector. Then check for spark. Do you get spark when the wire is unplugged, and no spark when it is hooked up to the CDI? Since this is intermittent you have to do these two tests while the problem is actually happening, otherwise the only conclusion possible is that everthing is working fine and there are no clues to work with. Intermittents can sometimes be tough.

Note: If you have the kill switch wire disconnected from the CDI, and crank the quad with the plug installed, and the quad starts up, you won't be able to shut it off. None of the kill switches (including the ignition switch) will work. To kill the engine you will have to manually short the kill switch pin on the CDI itself to ground. And... there is high voltage on this pin so hook the ground side up first and do the shorting bit holding the wire with insulated pliers.

Depending on your results the troubleshooting path diverges from here. Either we need to look at the kill circuitry wiring or start measuring the stator high voltage winding and trigger winding. Do you have a volt meter?

Old 04-10-2011, 06:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default meerkat 50cc wiring problem

hi there i was wondering if anyone could send me a wiring diagram of meerkat 50cc just these wiries look all messy thanks to anyone who can help would be great thanks rich33 email me richardmcdevitt222@msn.com

Old 04-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by rich33
hi there i was wondering if anyone could send me a wiring diagram of meerkat 50cc just these wiries look all messy thanks to anyone who can help would be great thanks rich33 email me richardmcdevitt222@msn.com
I have never seen a published Meerkat 50cc wiring diagram. I sure have seen lots of posts requesting one though .

Wiring on a lot of these quads is fairly generic (with a few variations). Is there a specific wiring issue you are dealing with?

Old 04-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
I have never seen a published Meerkat 50cc wiring diagram. I sure have seen lots of posts requesting one though .

Wiring on a lot of these quads is fairly generic (with a few variations). Is there a specific wiring issue you are dealing with?
...hi lynn thanks for replieing . ermmm its a quad i got of a someone which was lieing around and he told me wires have been swapped around doing various things experimenting on it ever since he has confused himself how to reowire it now that i have it was curious if a wiring diagram of proper color codes and where each one goes like a block diagram would be ideal to get this to its original state thanks lynn

Old 04-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by rich33
...hi lynn thanks for replieing . ermmm its a quad i got of a someone which was lieing around and he told me wires have been swapped around doing various things experimenting on it ever since he has confused himself how to reowire it now that i have it was curious if a wiring diagram of proper color codes and where each one goes like a block diagram would be ideal to get this to its original state thanks lynn
Color codes vary a lot. They can be a guideline, but they often just don't work out. Then you have to measure stuff...

Block diagrams are great. But let's break the problem into small blocks, then tackle one by one. Divide and conquer... I would suggest the following attack plan:

1) Get the starter motor cranking
2) Get the ignition system to produce spark
3) Get the engine to run.
4) Get the charging system to charge the battery
5) Fix any ancillary stuff like headlights, horn, alarm, etc.

Does anything work? Do you have a battery? Do the headlights work? If you jump the starter solenoid with a screwdriver does the starter turn?

You'll probably need a meter, but these are really inexpensive these days. A really good one costs around $20, but you can get acceptable meters for less.