1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

air / fuel mix screw

Old 03-04-2013, 04:22 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air / fuel mix screw

how important is the a/f mix screw on my carb i screwed it down too much and bent the little metal at the end when i tried to straighten it , it broke off should i get a new carb i been having trouble getting it running it was fine till i spontaneously decided to rebuild the carb then it wouldnt run only idle.
should i upgrade to a bigger carb since im getting a new one anyway?

Old 03-04-2013, 05:20 PM
Range Rover

Very important. With it broken the bike could be impossible to start. If you do somehow get it to start then odds are it will not idle. As far as a bigger carb is concerned generally speaking the larger bore will allow more air/fuel into the engine and provide more top end power. Since nothing is free in return the bigger bore reduces the pressure of the air flow and at low rpm it usually decreases power and throttle response. So you have to decide which is important to you. I cannot say if you need a bigger carb but if you are gonna replace it with a stock one I'd see if I could locate an air/fuel screw first.
As far as your problem us concerned my bet is you had a vacuum leak around the carb after you rebuilt it. The air/fuel screw should be set by running it in til it stops DO NOT TIGHTEN AT ALL. Then back it out 2 full turns. Then bout 1/2 a turn either way is allowed for fine tuning later.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:26 PM
Range Rover

My bet is you had a small vacuum leak around the carb after cleaning it. Then you turned the screw in (if on the air side made mix richer) the bike ran better but not right. You turned it in more again better but not right. This continued til the screw bottomed out and the next twist bent it. I'm not pointing fingers just if i'm right your carb is probably fine except you need is a new air/fuel screw. Then make sure you got all the mounting bolts tight, didn't knock a vacuum line loose while working in the area, or maybe a pinched gasket.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:00 AM
Trailblazer

ok i only have one hose hooked to the carb and its connected good should there be more than one hose are there other vac lines anywhere else on the bike i should check the engine code is 1p57qmj and i was told that this is a little more powerful than origonal gy6 motors thats 150ccs so i think im gonna get the larger carb i already have a peformance cdi and im looking to get a clutch spring and new variator weights but i want it running perfect before i go putting money into it thanks mud mike i appreciate your time more than u know i been trying to iron out all the kinks and just cant seem to get it straight.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:06 PM
Trailblazer

so let me tell u what happened i was fooling w the bike and wanted to know what gram weights i had in my variator so i pulled it apart weighed one put it together and when i cranked it up it ran fine w the a/f mix screw broke usually it doesnt go anywhere it just boggs down when i give it gas but it went but only for a short time but for that short time i had full use of the throttle when it quit it started bogging down again eventually the idle got lower and lower till it killed does that mean it is a vac line thats what im thinkin y would it work then stop so crazy im so confused

Old 03-05-2013, 04:42 PM
Range Rover

Sounds like the choke was on when it started and made the mix rich enough to run. As the choke opened the mix went back lean. The a/f screw shouldn't effect top end so my guess is vacuum leak around carb. If it has a boot that has like a hose clamp that goes around the carb make sure it is tight. If it is remove the carb and see if part of the boot rolled under or if it has a tear. If it is held on with 2 bolts are they tight? Is the gasket still good/ turned correct way? If it has a spacer is it backwards? Did you put the spacers and gasket back on in the order they came off? If you suspect a bad gasket make one out of a cereal/cracker box. Just tape the cardboard to the part and tap solidly (good whack dont try to break something) with a screwdriver handle, hammer handle, or rubber mallet. This should leave an imprint you can trace and cut out with a razor knife. Printed side goes away from engine.

As far as not idling thats cause a/f screw is gone/broke.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:33 PM
Trailblazer

ok so gas is leaking out of the exhaust when the bike is off i know that cant b good

Old 03-05-2013, 05:33 PM
Trailblazer

no exhaust pipe installed