1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Only starts when I jump solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 03:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Only starts when I jump solenoid

I have no brake light when I squeeze the hand brake, or step on foot brake.
The footbrake switch is definitely good (I did a temp. swap with my working quad).
The battery has 13+ volts
The ignition switch is good
The main fuse is good
The brake light bulb is good
All connections are tight (I took all plastic off the machine and exposed all wires.
If I jump the starter solenoid, she fires up and runs fine, and the kill switch works to stop it.
I have to believe the problem lies in the starter interrupter (wherever that is).
Or possibly in the remote start box?

The quad is a 110cc (tao tao I think).

At my wits end with this thing. I'm about ready to put a starter switch wired to the solenoid and be done with it, but I don't really want to do away with the safety feature of ensuring the brake is on before turning over.

Any ideas?

Old 03-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Range Rover

blown fuse?
bad ground on brake light?

Old 03-05-2013, 06:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by mudmike
blown fuse?
bad ground on brake light?
Fuse is good, I'll look into the ground.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you answered your own question unknowingly.
your brake switch is bad or the wiring has a fault/deficiency in it.
the brake switch must work to satisfy a safety interlock. if the switch doesn't work, it will inhibit a starter function. this is so little kids won't stand beside the machine, crank it and it starts and runs them over.
listen closely to the left handlebar switch when engaging the handle. do you hear a "tink"? if so, the switch is working and you need to test wiring OR just replace the brake switch/handle assembly. you're on the right track. that should fix you up.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Jaster94
the brake switch must work to satisfy a safety interlock. if the switch doesn't work, it will inhibit a starter function. this is so little kids won't stand beside the machine, crank it and it starts and runs them over.
listen closely to the left handlebar switch when engaging the handle. do you hear a "tink"? if so, the switch is working and you need to test wiring OR just replace the brake switch/handle assembly. you're on the right track. that should fix you up.
Where is this "interlock"?
I've checked every connection, put an ohm-meter on the brake wires (good), running out of things to check.
I'll probably just rewire the solenoid, and hardwire the brake lights.
Spending way too much time trying to find the problem, and to top it off, my kids don't even like to ride them!

Old 03-07-2013, 07:56 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Sherlock Jaster"

Old 06-25-2023, 06:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Similar situation

i have a similar situation. I have a 1999 yamaha grizzly 600 .

newer battery, new switch/handle assembly, new starter solenoid, newer spark plug, new carb, fuzes look good and few other things

it ran great last 2 years and stopped working and it sat for a few months.. i can get it started by jumping the starter solenoid and runs great.. but when i turn over the key no signs of power.. lights no longer come on and dosnt make a sound when i try to hit the ignition button.

do you have any suggestions?

Old 06-26-2023, 02:35 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

You would have been better starting a new thread and in the Yamaha section. Anyway, seems your bike is electrically dead, so obvious fist spot to check is the main fuse. This is probably on the solenoid. As you have fitted a new solenoid, did it work afterwards? As, if it does have a fuse on it, the thick wire binding posts have to be the right way round, M to starter motor, B to battery. Battery power then goes from fuse to ignition switch and regulator, is it reaching them? If it is, does it come out of ignition switch, when on, to the things that use power, light switch, horn, etc?

Old 06-26-2023, 08:36 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Thanks for getting back with me

Originally Posted by merryman
You would have been better starting a new thread and in the Yamaha section. Anyway, seems your bike is electrically dead, so obvious fist spot to check is the main fuse. This is probably on the solenoid. As you have fitted a new solenoid, did it work afterwards? As, if it does have a fuse on it, the thick wire binding posts have to be the right way round, M to starter motor, B to battery. Battery power then goes from fuse to ignition switch and regulator, is it reaching them? If it is, does it come out of ignition switch, when on, to the things that use power, light switch, horn, etc?
its a 4 wheeler. Sorry if i wasnt clear on that.. the 1999 Yamaha grizzly 600 ATV.
when i changed the solenoid it didnt not work afterwards.. i thought it was the issue but i was mistaken . And i checked the fuzes coming from battery and or solenoid and they all are new and fresh. I can try to check those wires and see once i am off..
what about the CDI? Would that cause this issue?

Old 06-27-2023, 02:21 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

It is where power, or at least volts are getting to. You need to check if you are getting power to/from the fuse, etc. This requires a 12v test lamp or voltmeter. Check the earths are good, using the tester, too.