1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

TAOTAO 250 hard to crank

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 12:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TAOTAO 250 hard to crank

OK now that I found out what type of engine. Found a label on the rear end and says ZHEJLANG
TAOTAO 7VCOX.250AM5

The engine will not turn over easily. I get a spin that struggles and smoke from my jumper cables. If I remove the spark plug it turns freely. I have the valve cover off but do not see a small sprocket like on some engines. Seems my valves are off causing the compression to be too much to spin the motor. Can someone point me in the right direction on solving this issue?

Old 03-11-2013, 07:15 AM
Range Rover

Hmmm, is the gap on the spark plug closed when you pull it? If so your piston may be hitting it. If not it sounds like you let the smoke out of the starter and it needs replaced.

I don't really know one engine code from the next, but if you have the valve cover removed and don't see a sprocket/cam then you have a pushrod style engine.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

THe sparkplug was clean with no marks or dings on the tip. I ordered a new starter yesterday.

I removed the 2 bolts for the starter, is there a trick on loosening it from the motor?

Old 03-12-2013, 01:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

it wasn't a weak starter motor was it? well wait, you said it spun freely w/o the spark plug.
did you adjust the valves?

Old 03-12-2013, 02:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am not sure if it is a weak starter or not. I will get the new one on Thursday. I do not know where to begin on adjusting the valves. I took the cover off and had the H and the T markings through the hole. Need more of a step by step to attempt the vavle adjustment.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

plenty of videos on youtube. junkman has a few videos also. they walk you through it step by step with the obvious visual aid of the videos.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have searched for days. The engine I have has like a clutch gear that spins from the starter teeth to the clutch then the engine. I assume this makes it easier to replace not having to deal with the engine side covers.
I did a search for junkman and atv repair on youtube and do not find him.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK I made some progress today. The new starter did not help. So I re-wired the ground and also bought a hi cranking amp battery. She now will turn over. I can only get the engine to run by spraying starter fluid in the carb. I do have gas coming out of the hose from the tank to the carb. I do not seem to be getting gas through the carb though. Any ideas?

Old 03-23-2013, 02:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

pull and clean the carb as you have a fuel delivery problem. here's a generic video that walks you through it. please don't use a drill driver for the screws. your carb may not be identical to the one in the video, but the principle is the same.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMVGO_sjL1Qif
if you have to take pics of how it looks while tearing it apart, then do so so you'll remember how to put it back together. after you get good at cleaning carbs, you can be done in <15 mins.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

there's plenty of other atv carb videos you can search on, but that one gives you the basics. i personally use the oxy-acetylene torch tip cleaner pack to rod out the orifices.

Quick Reply: TAOTAO 250 hard to crank