1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

New CDI, still won't start ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 05:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New CDI, still won't start ?

Hey guys,

So I have a 200cc Lifan/Zongshen engine and it won't start. I just replaced the CDI (the people before me had a 2 stroke CDI on a 4-stroke -___-) but anyway, I put the right CDI on and it still won't start. It is getting gas, spark, and has compression but it won't fire up. Help ?

Old 04-18-2013, 10:39 PM
ck3
Weekend Warrior

does it catch at all with starting fluid?

my 250 was doing this to me last night, cleaned and re-gapped the plug and it started right up. i would also tear the carb down and clean it if you haven't done so, i don't know the people you bought it from or whether or not it ran when it got to you, but if the had 2 stroke parts, i would think there's a good chance they may have tried running mix-fuel, which would foul the plug and probably gum up the carb.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have the same issue. Have gas, spark, air, compression....no boom. Will turn engine over til starter gives out but no combustion. Valves are correct .004/.006, replaced ignition coil and CDI and went through two starters (angry moments of hold till something gave). Ran fine and son shut off and never started again. I deployed and a friend replaced stator to fix a no spark problem so not sure if that is related to the issue. Seems if I have the main 4 (gas...to include starter fluid in air intake and spark plug hole, spark, air, and compression I should get some sort of combustion. Any suggestions because I have exhausted all ideas from forum.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sounds like you covered everything. but, for what it's worth, i've seen where folks tested for spark, reinstalled the plug and it not fire up. but then they spent $3 on the NGK spark plug, installed that and she fired right up. it's worth $3.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Been there done that as well!

Old 04-19-2013, 05:58 PM
ck3
Weekend Warrior

mine ran like crap until i thoroughly cleaned the carb, like tore it down completely and soaked it in chem-dip cleaned, then i blew all the jets out with carb cleaner spray, soaked it with wd-40 to help keep the corrosion at bay. new fuel filter, new NGK plug, (be sure to check the gap) , and a new battery later it runs great.

so far i have found these things simple to work on, mine sat for two years before i got it so i spent an entire day going over the electronics and cleaning the carb, but every thing else ive done has been simple and took me ten minutes

Old 04-20-2013, 10:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

CK3
At this point I would be a happy man if it ran like crap! It is crazy how I have all the ingredients for combustion....yet there is none. Carb not clean still doesn't explain no combustion with ether!

Old 04-20-2013, 04:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what was the result of your compression test?

Old 04-21-2013, 06:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Jaster94

I never did compression test with tool...I used the old thumb test.

Update....wanted to aggravate myself today so I went to mess with it again. Don't have the spark but not boom anymore now I have ZERO spark. Hip hip hooray at least I don't have the same prob! I removed kill switch pin from cdi, still no spark. So I decided to test the stator again...this time the Ac ignition power had zero reading until I stopped cranking. I do not have a 100 setting on my tester so I used the 200 setting (not an experienced person with the meter) anywho all readings were in line with proper ranges except this one. Before with spark but no boom, I had same reading but assumed I wasn't doing it correctly. I cleaned the little nub on fly wheel with steel wool (note to self, don't do this because shavings from steel wool stuck everywhere because of the magnetic charge) and the other pin thing that hits the nub on flywheel. So I am ordering new stator to see if that is the problem. I will not be defeated...I will replace everything to inched engine if I have to!