1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Tao Tao 125D keeps blowing fuses!!

Old 06-21-2013, 02:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Tao Tao 125D keeps blowing fuses!!

Forgive me if this has already been answered but I can't find an answer. Just bought two 125D atvs. One runs fine. We assembled the second one on Wed and it too was fine until yesterday (the next day). Rode it for a few minutes and realized the brake light (maybe tail light?) was lit up and we couldn't get it to turn off. We turned the atv and then it was dead. Found out fuse had blown. Don't mean to sound like an idiot but I can't find anything online that shows a wiring diagram or anything else to help. With that said, the fuse that blew is going to the red wire that goes straight to the battery. I don't know which fuse that is or if this is the only fuse. Don't have a clue what or where the solenoid, regulator, etc are located. I recharged the battery to make sure it was charged, and put it a third fuse. It had power, but nothing happened when I pressed the start button with the brake held in. I then pressed the unlock button on the remote control to see if that was the problem and then the fuse blew again. Please help this city girl!! And don't hesitate in responding to me like I'm a child, I feel like it right about now.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

your solenoid is downstream of the battery headed towards the starter. i can't remember exactly on the taotao, but you can follow back up the red wire from the starter to find it. on the brake light being illuminated full time, i bet your brake switch up on the handlebar is stuck. blowing a fuse means something that is powered is going straight to ground. what size fuse is it? at least and no more than a 7 amp, right? you bought this new? what's the return policy? it may have defective wiring, but we won't know for a few days because of testing times. what are your thoughts on this? we can help you out, no problem, it'll just take some time.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

when you turned the atv, left or right, i betcha a wire got pinched in the wiring loom bundle in/around the vertical handlebar tube and broke/pinched a wire and killed it. OR, the wire may not have had enough factory slack and pulled loose from the left hand red slider kill switch. check that out also.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

for wiring issues, it would be best to pull off as much of the plastic fenders as possible to see and inspect the wiring harness/loom. if you don't want to, then see what the return policy states.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks and you're exactly right! A wire was loose in the white box that connects the set of wires. We've got it running now BUT, another strange issue. The foot brake works as in it will stop the atv but when it's pressed, the brake light doesn't come on. Only the hand brake will make the brake light work. Also, the hand brake will allow it to start but the foot brake won't.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by brookenally
Thanks and you're exactly right! A wire was loose in the white box that connects the set of wires. We've got it running now BUT, another strange issue. The foot brake works as in it will stop the atv but when it's pressed, the brake light doesn't come on. Only the hand brake will make the brake light work. Also, the hand brake will allow it to start but the foot brake won't.
that issue will lie in the brake switches. personally, i wouldn't worry about the foot brake illuminating the light. the main switch is the handlebar as i believe it is the main safety interlock for starting/cranking the quad. probably because you set the "parking brake" with that handlebar lever as the footbrake does not. for light illumination, check the wiring coming off of the footbrake and that actuating assembly. that quick connect may be unplugged.

Old 11-20-2021, 07:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Former TaoTao owner

Originally Posted by brookenally
Hello, I had a similar problem with my quad so I checked the wires by the brake and realized that the wire is melted by the tailpipe. I would check there.

Old 11-21-2021, 10:40 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

you do realize this post was created in 2013