1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

New guy here..Quad wont spark..help Lynn

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 08:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation New guy here..Quad wont spark..help Lynn

I have a Sunl 90cc atv it hadn't run in a year and a half, cleaned carbs and it ran for a couple of minutes then it died, now it wont spark. ran some tests and this is what I got.
my results are in bold red

Name:  50cc-cdi.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  19.2 KB

You've disconnected the kill switch wire in the wiring harness so it does not connect to the CDI . Therefore it cannot be a kill switch issue. yes I pulled the kill switch pin from the CDI connector plug and NO spark

Set your meter to read AC volts on the 200 volt scale. did that

Now disconnect the CDI from the quad wiring harness. Measure the AC voltage on the AC ignition power pin of the wiring harness to engine ground while cranking the starter motor. That will be putting one lead on the wiring harness pin, and the other lead on the the aluminum motor block. You should see 45 to 80 volts AC at normal cranking speeds. What do you measure? 53.7 volts AC

Set your meter to the lowest AC voltage scale that is has. 2 volts AC full scale would be ideal but many meters don't go that low. Use whatever the lowest range is, but make sure it is AC volts and not DC volts. Measure the voltage on the timing trigger pin in the wiring harness to engine ground while cranking the starter. You should see 0.2 to 0.5 volts AC. What do you measure? .296 volts AC

Set your meter to measure resistance (ohms) on the 2K ohms scale (2000 ohms). When on the resistance settings you should read zero ohms with the leads shorted, and infinite ohms when the leads are not connected together. did that

Turn off the quad ignition switch. Measure the AC Ignition Power pin on the wiring to engine ground with the engine sitting still (not cranking). You should see 450 ohms or so (0.450 Kohms). 360 ohms

Measure the Timing Trigger line to ground. You should read 150 ohms or so (0.150 Kohms) with the engine sitting still. What do you measure for both of those pins? 130 ohms

Set your meter to the lowest resistance scale it has (20 ohms is about right).. Measure the resistance of the ground pin to engine ground. It should read zero ohms. 0.00 ohms

Measure the Ignition coil pin to engine ground. It should 0.5 ohms or so. It should not read zero ohms. Report back any descrepancies with these two values 0.00 ohms

I also checked the killl switch pin it was 1 ohms or infinite

If someone could tell me what my next step should be I would be very thankful, hope Lynn reads this post.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

install a new NGK spark plug. then we'll go from there. I've seen tests work and show good results minus spark. $3 later on a new plug, the quad fired up. let's try this and then move more forward if necessary.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did that then I checked every wire and plug. I found that the power ignition coil pin on the cdi plug had a broken piece of brass in the connector I repinned that wire and it runs great. Thanks everyone for reading my post.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

glad you got it going and learned something there. good job.