1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Basic wiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 08:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic wiring

I know this has been posted tons of times, but none I've looked at answer my question yet.

I have a 2007 Gio Quad bull...I need to replace the ignition switch which was rust out. I put in a universal switch since it was a simple 4 wire connection...I turn the key got head lights, brake lights but when I turn to ignition I get a weird beep noise and no ignition? Not a beep,beep,beep just a continues beep?

Is the safety switch fried? I mean it has to be something in the middle? I take my tester I have power to my key switch, I have power to my coil, good spark, good battery? I can start the bike if I jump at the coil, but when I turn the key and push my start button nothing? Try again and I get a click and it's like something pops...not my inline fuse I've checked it? Could it be a bad CDI? Bad relay somewhere in that mess of a wire harness?

SO my question is what wires do I need JUST for ignition..I have four at the key (red,black,green,black/white) Red is my battery, battery goes to coil..coil to starter. Do I need a CDI box? Can't I run power to my push button start than to my key?

I'll run lights and other thing's later my kids will NEVER ride at night and NEVER on trails just on my property only. So I just want them to walk out turn a key..push a button and have fun! What ever happen to pull start/kick start motors like when I was a kid. ANY HELP would be appreciated.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

so what you're calling a coil, the rest of us call a solenoid (starter relay), it has 2 posts on it connecting battery to starter, right? is the "beep" also a high pitched buzzing sound coming from the solenoid area? so it doesn't turn over/crank the engine? now on the small quads, your brake switch must work as it is a safety interlock for the starter. make sure your brake fluid reservoir is full.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:40 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes Solenoid...the noise is more of just a buzz...hard to pin point where it's coming from, but it's not coming from the Solenoid. That's why I wondered if it was a rely or the CDI? I can bypass the CDI right? The bike might not run the best, but it will still run right? Just to see if the CDI is my problem.

I can jump the solenoid with a screw driver and start the motor (that was the first part of this project was rebuilding the motor...so I had to jump it to make sure the motor was running right first before doing wiring).

I just can't get it to run off the key/push button starter. My grounds are good I have power to my key switch there's just something in between stopping the bike from starting.

That's why I wanted basic wiring I have 4 wires to my key switch so technically I should only need 4 wire out of that bee's nest of a harness to start the bike...right? Oh your other question yes my brake reservoir is full an they work and my brake light comes on when I lock them in with the safety pins.