1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

2006 HiBird HS 250

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 04:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 HiBird HS 250

Hello guys,

Issue I am having, I can't get her to idle, she only starts sometimes and only when fully choked. If I hold the throttle and turn her over it sounds like the carb "spits" fuel. Then she will crank on the next try and occasionally run if I get on the throttle 1/2 to 3/4 at the right moment.

This was after I took the carb off and cleaned it up as much as I could. (Before this she would only idle occasionally for a second or two with no throttle and full choke, she was also flooding the air filter.) There was one jet (smaller of the two) that has 3 or 4 small holes on the shaft, I couldn't see any light through it. Is is clogged or is that how it's made. The other was slightly clogged and is open now. I blew air through everything that I could.

I do not know how to adjust the idle or throttle mixture screws nor which one is which. I've screwed both all the way in and back them out 2 turns.

Any ideas? Also, she seems to struggle while cranking, like a half second pause between turns... starter going out?

What I've done - Fresh gas, new fuel line, fuel filter is flowing freely, and air filter has been washed and oiled.

I'm going to change the oil and plug next.

Heres two pics of the carb
What is the adjustment screw next to the mounting bolt in the first pic and what are the things in the second one (jet and screw types)?

Old 10-19-2013, 06:29 PM
Trailblazer

Foolery I'm not an expert but worked on a few carbs. Your problem sounds like the smaller jet is the idle jet..if you cannot see light through the hole it is most likely clogged. Take some small wire like the wire in twist ties and poke each hole till its clean.
If fuel spits out you may need to adjust the float or in most cases the needle valve and float ...make sure the needle valve is clean, this is the part that sits and closes the fuel flow to the carb.

The first picture is the idle screw...this is an adjustment for the idle as it pertains to the slide.

The second picture is the air/fuel screw...tighten slowly..then backup off up to 2 turns.

I would pull the carb again and clean it..including using the wire to clean the jets.
Hope you well and get it going!

Old 10-19-2013, 06:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply.

Ok, the smaller jet you think is the idle jet? It has small holes on its shaft, they are open but I do not know if it has a hole on the top?! If it does then it is not open and I will attempt to stick something through it (again). If it doesn't have a hole at the top then this is not the problem. BUT I have realized that I do not have consistent spark at my plug. I tried another plug, no spark. I think this is my problem. What is the name of the part that causes the spark?

Video of me trying to start it

Old 10-19-2013, 07:33 PM
Trailblazer

Fwoolley Its the smaller jet and yes there is supposed to be a tiny hole on top and if you can see any daylight..clean it.
The CDI/COIL is the part that generates spark.
How did you test for Spark? I have a Spark tester with a bulb that is inline from Harbor Fre..., or you can remove the spark plug and while it is plugged in you can see if there is a spark when you are cranking in the electrode..There are a few ways to check.
The other cause for no spark can be related to your Kill switch...you can disable that at the CDI....

Old 10-19-2013, 08:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, I will pull the carb again and check it out.

I checked for spark by pulling the plug and touching it against the motor.

I'll also attempt to bypass the kill switch and will update. I'll start there, then the cdi if still no spark (assuming I did that right?) and once all that checks out I'll pull the carb again if needed. Sound good?

And thanks again

Old 10-19-2013, 09:26 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

One will be your main jet the other will be a idle jet. The screw after that is your fuel screw. Same carb I have the main jet has holes in the side that u will need to take a pin and clean out. It took me a bit to get mine clean. I actually had to take a small screwdriver and scrape everything it was so plugged.

To tune this carb put the fuel screw about 1 1/2 turns out. Use the air/ idle screw to set the idle to a high idle. They say about 1800 rpm hard to do by ear but as long as you have a fast idle your fine. Then start turning the fuel mixture screw out until the idle does not climb any more and stop. Now turn it in until the idle no longer drops counting your turns. Now turn it back out the same amount of turns and then back off about 1/4 to 1/2 turn. I used this method and the thing had all kinds of power when I was done.
I bought one of those flex able screwdriver extensions for adjusting the fuel screw worked great.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Zrock
One will be your main jet the other will be a idle jet. The screw after that is your fuel screw. Same carb I have the main jet has holes in the side that u will need to take a pin and clean out. It took me a bit to get mine clean. I actually had to take a small screwdriver and scrape everything.
Is the main jet the longer or shorter one? On mine the shorter one has holes along the side but not the top (unless its clogged). Does your shorter one have a hole at top too or just your longer one?

Old 10-20-2013, 11:19 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

the long is the main.. i ithink.. cant remember what one had the holes.. i was to frustrated at the time

Old 10-20-2013, 06:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

What else can I try? I have it soaking in some Marvel overnight. It looks like the top of what ever is stuck in there is gone. I'm using a bread tie.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Also, my bud says that 4 strokes don't spark as much as two strokes so as soon as I get the jet open I will see if I do in fact have enough spark. Thanks

Quick Reply: 2006 HiBird HS 250