1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

hammerhead twister 150 ignition problems??

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 08:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hammerhead twister 150 ignition problems??

Hi everyone!
My husband and I have been trying to figure out an ignition problem with our kids 2005 hammerhead twister 150.
We put a new ignition switch in it because we thought it was shorting out. It would die then go, then start to stall, then go. We ended up having to hold the key all the way to the right after a while to get it to run.
Every time it wanted to die it made a buzzing sound from the dash...Relay??
Anyhow we put a new ignition in and wired it every way possible and no matter what it turns over in the off position??? It will also only run still with the key held all the way to the right,as soon as you let go it stalls???

Any help given we would be really greatfull! Thanks Jennifer

Old 05-11-2014, 08:28 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Did you get the proper switch for that unit or just a normal automotive switch? ATV switches are just a off/on or off/on/lights. does yours have lights? how many positions does your switch have?

Old 05-11-2014, 12:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Zrock
Did you get the proper switch for that unit or just a normal automotive switch? ATV switches are just a off/on or off/on/lights. does yours have lights? how many positions does your switch have?
Yes, we got it off ebay and was listed for a hammerhead twister 150. It seems a little cheaper than the original but otherwise the same.
With that it's got the off position at 12 o'clock and start at about 2 o'clock and then To start you turn it and hold it to 3 o'clock. From 2-3 o'clock it feels spring loaded so as soon as you let go it springs back to 2 o'clock. The weird thing is as soon as it springs back to the start position(2 o'clock) it turns off. If you keep holding it all the way to 3'o'clock it stays running. Unfortunately the motor will turn over in all positions including off.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:53 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

OK. Now that I see your working on a go cart so to speak it makes sense about the key. You are going to have to trace the wire from the key back for the on position.. not the start position. Sounds like you may have a break in the wire someware and it's not feeding power to the cdi/coil. If you have a test light start testing right at the switch and work back

Old 05-12-2014, 06:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Zrock
OK. Now that I see your working on a go cart so to speak it makes sense about the key. You are going to have to trace the wire from the key back for the on position.. not the start position. Sounds like you may have a break in the wire someware and it's not feeding power to the cdi/coil. If you have a test light start testing right at the switch and work back
That's interesting you say that . One of the wires that go to the ignition connector looks like it's only half there and frayed! I wonder if it's that? Thanks so much door your help!

Old 10-26-2017, 07:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 150cc twister go cart that has no spark. It is the one where the b/r wire that goes to nothing.