1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

starter won't crank fast enough

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 08:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter won't crank fast enough

Hello everyone.
I have a 200 cc china atv. Was not running when I bought it cheap but engine and bike look barely used. Needed the 1 way starter clutch replaced first to get it to crank. since then I've replaced cdi, solenoid, starter, ignition coil, spark plug. Had it run for one moment on starter fluid but then quit and broke teeth on starter. when I did new starter I was confused as to how to put together the dual gear assy inside which connects the starter teeth eventually to the starter clutch teeth. There's a pin that can go 2 ways and I don't know if it matters. That might be the problem but right now I can't get it to crank fast enough to start, even when jumped from my diesel truck. I don't know if its a bad starter or if the gears are binding because there is signs of bad wear on the starter teeth already. engine cranks better with plug out but? could I have the wrong starter with wrong number of teeth? dual gears in wrong? I've been working on this for a year and am lost and feel really stupid. I need it to crank faster before I can proceed. ANY help would be appreciated . sorry for the long post.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Got it cranking now. 1 lesson learned....don't jump known good battery to suspect atv battery. Connect good battery directly to atv.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

how did your quad issue turn out? got an update or are you experiencing anything else?

Old 06-14-2014, 03:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi and thank you for asking. like I said I have it cranking better but no start yet. Been testing things with my meter and am getting good numbers I think but couldn't get a spark at first. Finally got some spark last night but maybe its not strong enough? I have about 120 volts going to the ignition coil but also read the same inside the spark plug cap? Shouldn't it be much more than that? even more than my meter can measure? I've cleaned the carb , it's getting fuel? 120 psi compression. I'm wondering if it's timing but the cam shaft has a key groove and the flywheel/magneto can only go on one way? Maybe the valves aren't opening and closing right? Kill switch wire removed from cdi. 40 -80 volts from the ign power wire to cdi. .2 volts to pulse wire . The only odd thing I don't understand is the black/yellow wire that goes to the ignition coil has continuity to ground? My other little 110 quad has a separate ground wire on the ign coil but the black/yellow wire has no continuity to ground. The bad atv ign coil has a ground wire attached behind the metal mounting holes of the coil which has continuity to the black/yellow wire that provides voltage to it. Is that right. I'm even wondering if I'm somehow cranking the engine in the wrong direction seeing as I installed a new starter clutch and had to flip the center part around after I got it. Is that even possible? Thank you for any info and sorry again for a long post. So many questions.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok so now i have it cranking with some spark but no start not even a sputter. Sprayed a little starter fluid in the carb while cranking and got a backfire right away. Turned the air/fuel mixture screw out 1/2 turn ( approx 2 turns total now) and it now backfires without starter fluid.? Any ideas? Timing seems logical but how when the timing is permanently set with a groove in the crankshaft?

Old 06-16-2014, 12:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

A little update on my situation. I checked the T mark and it seems to be properly lined up with the piston at the top of the cylinder. Checked intake valve clearance and it was .010 inch. I've read conflicting info on what it should be, .003 to .008, so I set it to .005. Now when I crank it .....it sounds like a god awful crashing and clanking of metal, but only with the plug in. With plug out it cranks pretty normal. The piston is not hitting the plug because I tried putting the plug back in just a little bit and it sounds awful again. Any ideas why ?? BTW.. I may have mentioned that this quad was a 200 cc but I saw a stamp on the back of the cylinder that said 250cm3. In case it matters. Upright cylinder, water cooled.

Puleez help, I've invested so much time in this thing that I really want to win this battle.

Thanks for reading.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

was that the intake and exhaust valves? LT80 may remember the valve settings, i don't. but it shouldn't be clanging and clanking on you after an adjustment, something must've gone wrong. did you miss TDC on the compression stroke?
atv valve adjustment - YouTube

Old 06-16-2014, 06:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Old 06-16-2014, 06:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well you are correct sir, something did go wrong. That mashing about was the starter teeth disintegrating. The gears inside must not have been engaged properly when i put the cover back on. My cover is molded up to and including the starter shaft. I usually carefully place that dual gear in there so as it's fully inserted to engage the starter spindle and another gear below that engages the starter clutch. I just placed the cover back on with that dual gear placed in the cover and pushed it on and it seemed to fit perfectly so i bolted her down. 1 crank is all it took. Another possibility is that it does have something to do with the valves , or a binding starter clutch but that seems fine right now. I believe i did get the compression stroke when i did the valve clearance, which now seems to be about .007 in. intake and exhaust. But those valves can't be THAT finicky to cause a no start can they? Another thought on the backfiring carb could be intake manifold leak? Mine seems fine .....O-rings might need replacing but seem good. Anyway , ordered another starter so cross my fingers i don't chew this one up.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

dang i'm sorry that happened to ya. multibummer. couldn't imagine the valves being too finicky.