Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Jetmoto 125cc opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 08:05 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jetmoto 125cc opinions?

I am looking at getting this quad for my 10 year old son. Just wondering what you guys have heard as far as the quality/reliability of this machine? The Jetmotos seem to be getting pretty good reviews, but I just want to make sure this one falls in line with the rest. I am getting it locally and have already spoke with the dealer. I'd like to hear from anyone that can tell me about Jetmotos. The dealer said they would cut a $100 off the price for me. I like this quad because of it's low wide stance. My son is already riding a 3.5hp minibike and a eton viper 90cc quad so he has experience riding.

~~Super 125cc Quad Racer~`Jaguar 125 back in stock

Old 08-21-2009, 08:28 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum moetrout!

Ive got a Jetmoto 125 and its a decent quad....it even does ok in the sand with a rider under 150lbs...

Are you looking at getting a Jetmoto 125 or the 125 Racer you put a link to?

Old 08-21-2009, 08:33 AM
Trailblazer

I am looking at the 125 racer because i was told they are lower and wider than the rest. Most of his riding will be on the trails, no big hills. If I feel his riding skills are acceptable I may take him to Silver Lake sand dunes in northern Michigan, but that would not be until next year. He needs to ride this thing a while before he tries riding some place like that.

MWQ - You were the one person I was hoping to hear from. What a bonus you are to this forum!

Old 08-21-2009, 11:21 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

That 125 Racer is a sweet looking quad for sure and for the price its hard to beat........If you get one please let us know how it does for you..

Thanks..I appreciate that.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider

Not sure how big your 10 year old is but have a look at the 150 jet too. Its has a CVT trans with reverse, really soft suspension and it works good.

The 125 would work ok too, I haven't seen the specs on it though. Is it 3 speed like the 110's or a 4 speed? I have a 110 with a 3 speed plus reverse which is fine for playing around on flat ground. For trail riding though it could use a 4 speed as the gears are spread out a bit much.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:14 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally Posted by Sawyer
Not sure how big your 10 year old is but have a look at the 150 jet too. Its has a CVT trans with reverse, really soft suspension and it works good.

The 125 would work ok too, I haven't seen the specs on it though. Is it 3 speed like the 110's or a 4 speed? I have a 110 with a 3 speed plus reverse which is fine for playing around on flat ground. For trail riding though it could use a 4 speed as the gears are spread out a bit much.
Good idea on the 150...Much better Jetmoto..

The 125 is a 3 speed and there is a decent sized gap between 2nd and 3rd gears.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider

Another vote for the 150. My son has ridden his for nearly three seasons and it is still running strong and solid, especially for how hard it is ridden.

The engine and transmission are most noteworthy. They must be clones of really tried and tested designs and production methods as the power has always been steady and reliable. I can hardly think of anything I had to work on other than oil changes.

The rest of the bike, like basically all chinese quads, well, being blunt, is of poor quality. Even if parts look the same as the major brands, they are not the same. The base metal used is much cheaper and softer, making things wear at much faster rates where one expects life-long durability.

Some components seem more reliable, like brakes and rotors. Those seem very solid as well. It seems like they know exactly where they can cut corners and where they can't. There are countless stories of all sorts of stuff breaking, wearing out, falling off, but I can not recollect any one say they went out on a ride and the front wheel fell off or the brake rotor cracked or the tie rod end fell apart. It seems they have the very basic safety stuff covered, it is all the rest from plastic to cheap quality bars to cheapo chains, etc, etc, etc.

For example, most recently, the amount of slack where the tie-rods connect to the steering tube, has always been a problem. I always have to tighten it up. Finally, I decided to take it all out and discovered the fixed plate where the tie rod connects to is made of crap metal and the tie rod end dug carved out the metal creating so there was no flat area to butt against. So it always was a bit loose. I fixed it by filing the area flat then placing high quality stainless washers between the plate and tie rod end. It seems fine for now.

This is a perfect example of the many, many things that break, wear, or otherwise just need tweaking on these cheap quads. It is the price you pay for getting on the dirt for much less than major brand units. Just be prepared to always have a wrench handy and your DIY enthusiasm at the ready; you will use every bit of it.

Geez - forgot this tidbit - the 200 has always been my solid ride. Last week my son and I went up in the Sierras, miles from anywhere, sun starting to get a bit low, and I decide we had better turn back. We are about 10 miles out but mostly all downhill. About 4 miles from camp, the 200 starts cutting out, worse and worse, barely able to get any rpms much less any power. Finally dies and barely will idle. Sounds like no fuel so I trace things back - fuel filter looks clean - took hose off at carb - fuel moving ok.

oh well - just by chance we see a lumberjack on a rhino - he has a strap in his water truck. My son pulls me back to camp, luckily we are back on smooth road again. Next morning pull things apart and find the main jet laying loose in the bowel. I've never messed the jet so it got got loose on its own. Hope this is not a omen of things to come with the engine/tranny.

Got way off track but off all the chinese quads I for sure say the Jetmoto 150 is one of the best and most solid builds out there.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a Kazuma 110cc and a Jetmoto 125cc. There only seems to be a slight power increase with the bigger engine (however, I should note, the 125cc has an automatic CVT transmission so that is probably causing a lack in the engine's full potential). Since your son is 10 and somewhat experienced, you may want to go with the 150cc if you are looking for a significantly more noticable power upgrade to tackle the hills and dunes.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider

As far as I know the 150cc/cvt combo is the only CVT variable belt transmission on the kid quads. Unless there is something new out. There are "automatic" trans on the 90cc's and 110's etc. but its a different type of set up.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:40 AM
Trailblazer

Well, I had a change of heart when I found a pair of lt80's on craigslist for the price of one. So now I have one for each of them with some money to spare. Certainly wasn't as big of a bike as I wanted for my son, but it still does alright. I think one of them has had some work done on it as it is just a little bit faster and a little more power. I rode a wheelie on it yesterday the entire length of my back yard (2 acres). I think this will be a good start for them and then we can upgrade later, as well as see who is still interested in riding.