Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Has spark but won't start help needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 12:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has spark but won't start help needed

Just bought a 110cc cheap it has spark but won't start fuel line checked and carb was pulled and cleaned but still won't start.

Anybody knows what should I check next?

It has strong spark and carb, fuel line checked okay.

Thank you in advance

Old 08-27-2009, 08:39 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

You need to see if the gas is getting to the engine....spray some starting fluid in the end of the carb with the air filter removed..and try to start it at the same time...if it starts or tries to start the fuel isnt getting past the carb...Id check the float height...If it doesnt do anything i would check the valve clearance..

Is this a new or used atv?

Old 08-27-2009, 10:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank mywifesquad for your post.

It is an used unit,I already own one 110cc mini hummer for my son and pick this up dirt cheap as a fix upper / winter project.

Originally it didn't even has spark and after swapping the coil from our good one we found out its the ignition coil problem however it still won't start.

I pulled the carb and use compressed air to blow all jets and did a visual inspection everything looks okay.

I will try the starting fluid method.

What if it still won't start?

Could it be the timing is off or something?

Also do you know if any ignition coil from Chinese made atv / scooter will work?

A buddy of mine has a coil from a 150cc the shape looks different do you think it will work?

Thank you in advance

Old 08-27-2009, 01:47 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Your welcome..

Did you pull the individual jets out and clean them? Did you check the float height?

Ignition timing could be off but someone would have had to take something apart..more likely the valves have tightened up and your losing compression...

Yes as youve found out a coil is basically a coil..if it fits it will usually work..

Old 08-27-2009, 01:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your prompt reply again!

I didn't clean each jet individually but plan to do that (I was in a hurry to see if it starts) and how to check float height?

I have check the both valves clearance and they are within spec (0.003in).

I will tried the start fluid next and pull the carb again tonight if I have time.

Also, the spark plug thread is slightly worn (stripped) but I am still able to get a good tight fit with a socket so after get it started my next mission will be repair the thread.

Do you know of which system to use to repair the spark plug threads?

Someone told me about the Wurth Time-sert but wasn't able to locate one.

Thanks again!

Old 08-27-2009, 02:56 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

I would take out each jet and the tube the main jet screws into..there is a few holes going thru the side that affect performance...

Float height is a visual with the float appearing level with the carb upside down...

As long as you can still get a plug to screw in and tighten I wouldnt sweat it...If you need to fix it I have used Heli Coils before with decent results..

Old 08-27-2009, 10:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Unhappy

Thanks for your post again!

I think I will start repair the thread on the spark plug hole first because after several removal and install its getting lose to a point that I can't tighten it.

Once I have the thread repair will try other things to see if it will start and in the mean time I will pull the carb and clean it again.

Will keep you updated on the progress.

Also, what's the signs of a blown head gasket?

I am worry that the quad has been overheated before and blown the head gasket because its leaking oil around the cyclinder.

It is definitely my winter project now!

Old 08-29-2009, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider

Looks like you got your winter hobby project on the blocks. New Chinese ATV is a handful to keep running; I can't image a used one that who know what has been done to it and how it was serviced. If you have trouble with the spark plug threads and leaking head gasket, sorting the fuel/ignition failure out will be a warmup for the rest.

I wish I could offer more advise beyond the good stuff already offered up. What I have going is an intermittent electrical system failure that has to do with some loose connection in the bundle under the gas tank. I can ride along fine then it cuts out. I'll reach my hand on the cable bundle and give it a loving stroke and shove the wires around and she responds like a bitch in heat. Tried to tighten up a few before but either missed or did not secure them better.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a question I have a 150cc coolster I cant get it to start its been out in rain for a long time with some gas still in tank I replaced spark plug and took carb apart and cleaned all I sprayed starter fluid in air box by carb it started and shut right back off do you know anything els I can do to fix please help

Old 08-21-2019, 01:58 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

You would have been better starting a new thread. If the bike has been left out for long, water may have got into the tank. It is almost impossible to get it all out on most tanks. I would guess that some has been pulled through into the carb and blocked the jets. Could also be dirt in the tank blocking something.

Quick Reply: Has spark but won't start help needed