Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

I Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 06:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink I Need Help

I bought a gio 200cc beast 2008, and now the battery wont charge and I've tried every thing to rectify the problm helppppppp

Old 08-30-2009, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

New battery?

Old 08-30-2009, 09:36 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

To see if the battery charging system on your quad is working take a voltmeter and measure the voltage right on the battery terminals while the quad is running at a medium fast speed. It should read 13.5 volts to 14.5 volts DC. When you turn the quad off the voltage should drop a little.

Some questions:

1) What do you mean by "the battery wont charge" ? Does this mean you plugged on a charger and it didn't take a charge, or does this mean your battery is dead and you don't know why?

2) Is the battery dead all the time, or does it work for a while after you stop the quad but becomes dead some time later?

Old 08-31-2009, 06:21 PM
Trailblazer

the battery is fine the quad is not charging the battery it will start after I charge the bat. but after it warms up i put the tester on the bat and it shows 11.5 v thats it when I rev it up it climbs to 11.7 or 11.8v

Old 08-31-2009, 06:21 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by ghcoe
New battery?

and yes its new and been charged

Old 08-31-2009, 10:18 PM
Trailblazer

take the batt. out and test it . it should read about 12 to 12.4 at no drain. if not the batt may have a dead call. this kind of thing just happens sometimes and nothing you can really do about it . just get a new batt and see what happens. had a oddessy batt. go bad on my KLR. did the same tests and replaced the batt. with a new oddessy batt. and 2 years later no probs at all.Seth 03

Old 08-31-2009, 11:13 PM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by gpriebe
the battery is fine the quad is not charging the battery it will start after I charge the bat. but after it warms up i put the tester on the bat and it shows 11.5 v thats it when I rev it up it climbs to 11.7 or 11.8v
The 11.5 volt battery voltage is way low for a quad running just until "after it warms up". There's almost no electrical load on the battery once it starts. There's the brake light and the auto choke (assuming you have an auto choke). I think that is why Seth03 is zeroing in on the battery. It is strange that the battery is so low. I'm wondering about the battery too.

I also wonder if the regulator is bad and discharging the battery going backwards through the stator. If this is true then your fully charged battery will discharge quickly (30 minutes) when the ignition switch is on and the quad is not running and the brake light is left off. Then when you repeat the test (after recharging tha battery) with the regulator unplugged the battery will not discharge anywhere near as quickly.

Anyway the battery charging system on the quad almost certainly isn't working. There isn't much to the charging system - the voltage regulator and the charge windings on the stator. And of course all the interconnect wiring between the two.

Do you have an automatic choke? Is it working? It runs off the raw AC stator output voltage. That's a small clue to the big puzzle.

I would next disconnect the voltage regulator and measure the AC voltage coming out of the stator right at the voltage regulator pins while idling. You'l have to be quick after starting the quad up because with the regulator unplugged the auto choke (if you have one) won't disengage as the quad warms up. It will start running rough and die.

What are the wire colors on your regulator?
Is it a five wire regulator?

I don't have a wiring diagram of your quad so we will have to fish around for the battery charge winding wires. The colors should help. The stator output on the charge winding should be around 10 volts AC cranking and around 25 volts AC at idle. Note that is AC not DC so you will have to set your meter accordingly.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Trailblazer

I bought the battery @ canadien tire so I have it warrentied but your talking a newby. stator? reg? wires I can do lol Ill try the bat test again but could you explain thows two things for me pls and thanks alot for your advice thank u all

Old 09-02-2009, 12:13 AM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by gpriebe
I bought the battery @ canadien tire so I have it warrentied but your talking a newby. stator? reg? wires I can do lol Ill try the bat test again but could you explain thows two things for me pls and thanks alot for your advice thank u all
No problem with being new at this.

A quick overview:

The battery is kept charged by converting mechanical energy from the engine into electrical energy, and then the electrical energy is delivered in a controlled fashion to the battery to keep it charged.

The conversion of mechanical energy into electrical energy is done by the stator. The stator is a bunch of coils of wire bolted to the engine and remains stationary (hence the term stator - a concatenation/abreviation of stationary and alternator). Surrounding the stator is a flywheel driven by the crankshaft, and imbedded in this flywheel are some powerful magnets. Magnetic forces and electric forces are closely intertwined, and it very easy to convert from one to the other. Thus the spinning magnets going by the coils of wire generate electric current. It is Alternating Current (AC), just like the alternating current in your house, only the frequency varies with engine speed.

The regulator does two things: It takes the Alternating Current (AC) from the stator and converts it to Direct Current (DC), then throttles the output voltage going to the battery to keep it within 13.5 Volts DC to 14.5 Volts DC. That is all it needs to do to keep a quad battery charged. When the battery is discharged it sucks in a lot of current, when it is fully charged it stops taking current. The output of the regulator tries its best to remain within the 13.5 to 14.5 volt limits.

So the battery charging system consists of the stator, regulator, battery and the wiring between all these.

Now for your specific quad:

Go to www.ebay.com and in the main search field at the top type in "200cc voltage regulator" and start a search. If you don't have an eBay account just be a guest. Scroll down through the pictures from the dozens of vendors and see if you can find something that matches your quad. If you're succesful then you've found your quad's regulator and multiple sources of new ones. Also notice how inexpensive they are.

Then search eBay for "200cc stator". Now you know what your stator looks like, even though it is mounted inside the engine under the flywheel. The stator has two other functions as well - one of the windings on the 8 legged star is for powering the ignition through the CDI, and there is a pickup coil that mounts outside the flywheel that tells the CDI when to spark. Neither of these is involved in your battery charging problem. The battery charge windings consists of 7 coils of wire all connected end to end.

I would definately do the test to see if the battery discharges with the ignition on but the quad isn't running both with the regulator hooked up and not hooked up as outline in a previous post.

I would also look at all the connections at the stator wires where they come out of the engine, and at the regulator too. Make sure they are clean and tight.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:08 PM
Trailblazer

thank you for your time and Ill get back to you after I find out what this parts are and test them the way you discribed lol thanks again