Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

JVC 150 - lost key, eliminate key all together but....

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 12:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question JVC 150 - lost key, eliminate key all together but....

I realize this topic usually gets the typical 'you stole it' response... but if someone reads this then maybe you'll understand it's not the case. Brother in law gave kids this JVC 150 - a fun toy... now that we just bought 18 acres - I finally can ride without neigbhors yelling and I hid the key in the wheel barrow with goplf cart key only I used the darned thing and forgot about the key... (luckily golf cart key was still in cart) not it sits somewhere on or under the driveway which is 9/10's mile long - put stone down. I see a 4 wire/prong plug, I tried shorting out 2 wires to two wires but no luck... red, green and two black - how do I short out and just remove the jumper wire to keep kids from riding... I know - $20 - new switch... why bother... dont want a key anyway... if anyone could tell me what to do with the 4 wires - thanks much....

Old 10-27-2009, 11:43 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pappygt
... red, green and two black... [on the ignition switch]....
Look at those wire colors again. Are you sure one of those black wires isn't black with a white stripe? That would make things a lot more generic and easier to work with.

If it really is two black wires it is still solvable, we just have to do some measuring first.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default My Answer to your reply to my post

Yeah - I do think one has a white stripe... in some of the reading I've done, folks say only 2 wires need to be connected... I also have a dead battery and I use this Sears jump box.... the problem is the dang thing has this timer that only allows you to jump for like - 10 seconds... then it cuts out and waits 60 seconds before you can try again so each time I try to short out 2 wires - I have to wait for the jump box to reset... I need to put a new battery in the unit and eliminate that as a point of frustration... now I have hunters running around the area and I have to post 18 acres.. I need to get this thing going as my golf cart will never navigate that terrain... so to answer yuor question - yes - 4 wires - 2 blcak, one has a white stripe.... thanks for your time and I'll look for your reply..
ps: amazing - I asked several motorcycle or lawnmower repair places about this... no one has an easy answer - they all want $75/hour, bring it in... you have to be kidding...

Old 11-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Pappygt,

I think this is going to be easy since the colors you have on the ignition switch are textbook standard.

Your ignition switch is actually two separate switches ganged together on a common turn shaft. Each switch has a separate function as follows:

Switch 1 (Red and Black wires): When the ignition switch is turned to the "on" position these two wires are shorted together. When the switch is in the "off" position these wires are not connected to each other. The red wire goes back to the battery + terminal through the main fuse. The black wire feeds everything that runs off switched 12 volts - the running lights, brake lights (through a brake switch), and the starter motor interlock circuitry. Black is a strange color to use for switched 12 volts, but that is the way it is.

Switch 2 (Black/White and Green wires): When the ignition switch is in the "on" position these wires are not connected. When in the "off" position these wires are shorted together. Note that the connected/disconnected action is backwards from switch #1. The green wire is ground. The black/white wire is the kill switch line. The kill switch line goes to all your kill switches (like the handlebar kill switch, and the tether strap kill switch [if installed]) and to the CDI. When this line is grounded the CDI stops making spark and the engine dies.

So you need switch 1 to start the quad, and switch 2 to stop it. If you decide not to hook up the green and black/white wires you can always use the handlebar kill switch to stop the quad. If you manually short the red and black then you should be able to start the quad, but remember that the battery will always be hooked up to the lighting circuitry until you unhook those wires. If you set the parking brake the brake light will stay on and drain the battery.

Since you've been messing around with the wires be sure to check your main fuse. If you shorted the green and red wires together the fuse will blow instantly, probably without your knowledge.

Rather than use the battery booster box, I would just jump the quad to my car. Just be sure to get the polarity right.

Important Note: If the quad is running (or the engine cranking) there is high voltage on the kill switch wire (black/white). Mind your fingers. If you touch it while the engine is turning you know it right away. The high voltage comes from the stator through the CDI module and can be a couple hundred volts on a running engine.

I have a different brand 150cc chinese quad. Below is the wiring diagram of my quad. You may find it is identical to yours:

Name:  QuadSchematic1.jpg
Views: 7496
Size:  77.4 KB
Name:  QuadSchematic2.jpg
Views: 7525
Size:  66.4 KB

Old 11-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Thanks!

That was great - many thanks... and the part about the fuse - thanks there as well... I tried every possible combo so I know I blew it... new battery and rocker switch for the two ignition wires - will leave ther two alone since I have a handlebar mounted kill switch... many many thanks again....