Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

MWQ bushing stock question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MWQ bushing stock question...

Hey, as mentioned I'm giving the 150 a go over for winter riding.

My upper front A arm bushings are getting loose. I thought they were rubber bushings. But they are not they just have rubber seals on the ends. I have to take the arm off and put on the bench to have a closer look as to whats in there.

I was thinking of just making some bushings on a friends lathe over the holidays.

What type of materail would one use for this application? This site lists all kinds

McMaster-Carr

I have some Bronze bushing stock but its too big for this. I have to go and buy another piece of smaller stuff. I was reading on that site above of all the different types.

thanks

Old 12-18-2009, 08:05 PM
Trailblazer

What about urethane?

Old 12-18-2009, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by beart0y
What about urethane?
Yes maybe that might be an option too.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:11 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

I would make them out of 841 bronze material if I was going to make some..only because its oil impregnated..
Ive thought about making some out of urethane, but wondered how long it would last..

Old 12-19-2009, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider

Well I had a chance to take the control arm off and have a look to see just what they used for a bushing.

I thought it was just a rubber bushing... but I was surprised to see the rubber I saw was just a seal. You can see in the pictures what they put in there a steel ball and sleeve set up. Its pressed in the control arm and uses a couple ring clips to keep it in place (Cost $20.00 each from Jetmoto) . Not bad they had the right idea, as I've seen some MIC quads with cheap plastic bushings the don't last one summer of riding.

Too bad the contact surface is so small, and now I know why it was squeaking all the time!! Kids driving in water getting it all wet and there is no way to lube it unless you take it apart. Its not really bad but there is play in there. I haven't figured out what route I'm going to go. Maybe buy an after market bushing set for a quad and make them fit or make something. Either way I will install some grease nipples.

My Honda 250 bushings are not serviceable, you have to replace the whole arm... and they squeak too!! I see though you can buy aftermarket ones. I noticed Honda 300ex has the same kind of set up as the Jetmoto but it looks like its a bearing of some sort http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_sectio...006&fveh=12010

Attached Thumbnails MWQ bushing stock question...-img_1403.jpg   MWQ bushing stock question...-img_1402.jpg  

Last edited by Sawyer; 12-19-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:32 AM
Banned

Like you say, a zerk drilled through the collar on those A-arms might be the thing.

Joel

Old 12-20-2009, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider

Sawyer - Thanks for the effort breaking the control arm down. The A arms are the same on both my 150 and 200, consistent with the parts description on JM site.

No wonder why they squeak and get play in there in no time. I never got energized enough to take apart but one has a lot of slop and need to be replaced.

Why does it have that type of sleeve on over a ball? It does not need to articulate around or does it allow better alignment with the frame?

20 bucks for each seems a bit steep, 80 bucks to do both arms? ouchiee. JM sells the entire arm with both bushings as well as the ball joint on the end for 60 bucks. Plus way less labor to swap the entire arm.

What about sealed bearings? Couldn't you find one that fits really close then shim it if need be? What type would work best?

If MWQ decides to make a few, might as make a bunch for everyone who has a JM to do the upgrade as it going to need it sooner or later.

Sawyer - do you have diameter of the A-arm opening and the bolt hol diameter? I am looking at sealed bearing but need size. do we get roller or ball or some other type of bearing for this kind of load? Does not seem the bearing needs to take hard or sharp banging as the tire is taking up all the shock load.

I found a set of 10 sealed bearings for 30 bucks so 3 each. they are for skateboard so they get beat pretty hard, so this option may work out. Press one in each end or maybe use one in the middle of the arm.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

I think just bushings would be fine if they could be greased. The aftermarket parts you can buy just use bronze or a hard plastic type of bushing from I've seen. When I make something up I'll post the pics.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:56 PM
Range Rover

Ah! Now that I realized what "MWQ" meant, it's a bit clearer now! Sorry MWQ and Sawyer. Sharp as a tack I am.

Joel