Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Which Loctite to keep'er from coming unglued?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 04:38 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Loctite to keep'er from coming unglued?

I have to admit, with all the shade-tree/DIY/minor wrenching and tinkering I do, I'm more of a Never-Seize guy than a threadLOCKER. I pretty much butter my toast with never-seize. Having not used it, I'm very unfamiliar with it. Hanging out at this board, It's my understanding that applying this is pretty much a requirement for Chinese ATV assembly and such. What do you fellas recommend? Having recently placed an order for some stuff on Amazon, I needed to add a cpl more dollars to my order to qualify for free shipping. What I did was order a tube of this:>

Is this the right stuff? Loctite Consumer Retail Products | Product Detail

Joel

Old 12-29-2009, 04:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Green=light blue=medium red=heavy In most atv cases Blue is the one to use.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:55 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Thats the Right Stuff.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by OneTenCC
I It's my understanding that applying this is pretty much a requirement for Chinese ATV assembly and such. s | Product Detail[/URL]

Joel

Honda's too!!

MY dads 2005 250 Recon rattled out all a bunch of its fender bolts after a few weeks, so when I put the new ones back in I used the blue loctite!

Anything that goes through plastic use it on, all the little reflectors, fender brackets etc.

My first 110 I bought assembled and it didn't get the loctite treatment. I had lots of stuff coming loose untill I did it right.

The last quad I bought I went through it pretty good when I put it togehter and had I don't think anything came loose.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:46 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

As everyone has already said, this is the right stuff.

I use a lot of thread locker, and buy it in 50 mL bottles (1.7 fluid ounces). It's pretty pricey in that quantity. I also bought some stuff called MXLOC 71 from harbor freight which I've found works just as good. I only paid $9.99 for 50 mL which a lot less than $35.00 for the loctite brand for an equivalent quantity.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DODGE57HEMI
Green=light blue=medium red=heavy In most atv cases Blue is the one to use.
you got that backwards, man, the green stuff is basically welding it together,you need a torch to heat it up to get it loose, only use green when it will NEVER come apart again, like a stud or buried bolt you never have to take off again.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Originally Posted by 95wolv
you got that backwards, man, the green stuff is basically welding it together,you need a torch to heat it up to get it loose, only use green when it will NEVER come apart again, like a stud or buried bolt you never have to take off again.
I think I have it right. Here is a link direct to Locktite.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/products/subcategory.asp?CatID=10&SubID=48

Old 12-30-2009, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Then Loctite has made some changes over the years, because where I used to work the green, I think the number was 345 or something like that, was a cylinder locking wicking formula used by our tool room to lock linear bearings in place in large presses and forming dies, where no movement was permitted. When overhauled they either threw out the bearings, or heated them and then used a press to break them loose. I have never heard of green being the lightest, in our shop it was purple,blue, red, and green, in order of light to "welded".

Old 12-30-2009, 07:50 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally Posted by Sawyer
Honda's too!!
My Hondas and my KTM have Blue loctite on lots of bolts/nuts. Heck even my Yamaha needs blue loctite.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:51 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally Posted by 95wolv
I thought this too...darn changes.. We used to use the green stuff to fill in up to .010 gap in a shaft to a hole fit.. leave it over nite and it was as good as a weld..

Quick Reply: Which Loctite to keep'er from coming unglued?