Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Fuel tank Repair- rubber mounts

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel tank Repair- rubber mounts

Below are some pictures and info regarding teh steel fuel tank I repaired on my 150 quad. This all could have been avoided with proper rubber washers and installation. Next post I'll provide some pics of rubber isolation mounts on atv's and what to look for to avoid hassels down the road...

Attached Thumbnails Fuel tank Repair- rubber mounts-img_0862.jpg   Fuel tank Repair- rubber mounts-img_1380.jpg   Fuel tank Repair- rubber mounts-img_1383.jpg   Fuel tank Repair- rubber mounts-img_1407.jpg   Fuel tank Repair- rubber mounts-img_1515.jpg  

Last edited by Sawyer; 01-01-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

More pictures, the front tank mount I welded up with a mig welder and slapped some paint on. I could have bought a new tank for $60 bucks. But that would mean a trip to town to go and get it. I had the supplies in my shop so it only cost me my time.

Attached Thumbnails Fuel tank Repair- rubber mounts-img_1464.jpg   Fuel tank Repair- rubber mounts-img_0853.jpg   Fuel tank Repair- rubber mounts-img_0859.jpg  
Old 01-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

Too funny! Man you and I are kindred spirits, bound by that JM 150, same color and year.

I had the EXACT same thing happen. Picture of the snapped off tab looked the same.

I tried to solder it but did not do it properly as it would have required taking much more effort to get all the gas and fumes removed.

JBWELD is my friend! The mantra of the Chinese ATV owner. A two inch piece of aluminum angle welded underneath the lip, a new hole for the mounting, and good as new, actually much better than new.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by windtrader
Too funny! Man you and I are kindred spirits, bound by that JM 150, same color and year.

I had the EXACT same thing happen. Picture of the snapped off tab looked the same.

I tried to solder it but did not do it properly as it would have required taking much more effort to get all the gas and fumes removed.

JBWELD is my friend! The mantra of the Chinese ATV owner. A two inch piece of aluminum angle welded underneath the lip, a new hole for the mounting, and good as new, actually much better than new.
I don't think solder would be strong enough for the broke off tab. I had rinsed it out quite a bit with hot water, then when I welded the tab back on I had water in the tank. For soldering I have a one of the 3lb copper irons you heat up first with a torch. They work really well for them little fuel tank repairs and stuff where you don't want an open flame.
Ones like these: Soldering Coppers by C.S. OSBORNE

Old 01-01-2010, 03:26 PM
Pro Rider

Got it. so you both welded tab back on and soldered it to make sure no leaks. I have wanted to learn welding for a long time, just never made the leap to get started. Always seems that I would need a lot of different stuff to properly and cleanly weld aluminum and various metals.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by windtrader
Got it. so you both welded tab back on and soldered it to make sure no leaks. I have wanted to learn welding for a long time, just never made the leap to get started. Always seems that I would need a lot of different stuff to properly and cleanly weld aluminum and various metals.
Well sort of the front tab mount broke off, it didn't leak there. I welded it with the mig. The back of the tank had a tiny crack of some sort along the seam. Those are better fixed with solder or even JB weld would work too.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sawyer
... For soldering I have a one of the 3lb copper irons you heat up first with a torch. They work really well for them little fuel tank repairs and stuff where you don't want an open flame.
Ones like these: Soldering Coppers by C.S. OSBORNE
Thanks for that Sawyer. I have one of the really big tip solder irons, but it never gets hot enough for some soldering jobs. I've never seen one of the "copper irons" before. I'm definitely going to get one.