Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Tao Tao 125H4 issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tao Tao 125H4 issues

Hey all, new on this site and hoping someone might be able to give me some advice here.. Thanks in advance

I picked up a brand new Tao Tao 125H4 on Christmas eve for my daughter.. Christmas day it fired right up and we drove it around for a couple hours no problems. I haven't been able to get it to start since

It cranks over and occasionally sounds like it might start, but just doesn't. I know it's getting a good spark. I'm assuming that it is a fuel issue? I think there's fuel going somewhere though because I had a full tank of gas and it seems to have gone down in the tank just from me cranking on it.

Any advice on what I should look at here? I'm not an ATV guru by any means (first one ever) and honestly know nothing about them (or carburetors for that matter) but am no stranger to fixing things..

Thanks again!

Old 01-14-2010, 03:10 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum whyme26!

Id guess its fuel related too... Not sure how your using gas cranking it over...Maybe its flooded? Have you tried more than 1 time to start it since it was running? Id replace the stock spark plug with a NGK C7HSA...more thna likely isnt the problem but it will be some day..

Old 01-14-2010, 03:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've tried it about 3 times every day since it was running.. nothing. at first I thought it was just to cold out and I'd have better luck when it warmed up a little. It's now about 35-40 during the day (which is warmed up for here). and still nothing. I'm kind of cranky about the whole thing as it's a brand new machine.. aren't new things supposed to just work?!?

Anyway, I'll try a new plug. although the one in it is throwing a real nice blue arc... don't think it's just flooded. I read something on here about maybe an airlock in the fuel line? to drain the carb bowl until gas runs out clear and no bubbles... think that could be worth a shot?

honestly I have no idea how it's using fuel and not running either.. but the level in the tank has for sure gone down. can't imagine it's just evaporating or something?

Old 01-14-2010, 03:41 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally Posted by whyme26
I've tried it about 3 times every day since it was running.. nothing. at first I thought it was just to cold out and I'd have better luck when it warmed up a little. It's now about 35-40 during the day (which is warmed up for here). and still nothing. I'm kind of cranky about the whole thing as it's a brand new machine.. aren't new things supposed to just work?!?

Anyway, I'll try a new plug. although the one in it is throwing a real nice blue arc... don't think it's just flooded. I read something on here about maybe an airlock in the fuel line? to drain the carb bowl until gas runs out clear and no bubbles... think that could be worth a shot?

honestly I have no idea how it's using fuel and not running either.. but the level in the tank has for sure gone down. can't imagine it's just evaporating or something?
That is strange..I was thonking you flooded it and if it sat it might help..New machines from china dont really count.

Couldnt hurt to drain everything and start over..

Have you checked the oil lately? If its higher than it was, it could have drained gas into the crank case..Where the gas is going is strange..

Old 01-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

No, I've actually never checkd the oil
I've only had it for about 3 weeks and in that 3 weeks it was only run for an hour or two.. This is a bike that was assembled by an ATV shop. They said they went through it and everything was up to snuff. They replaced a bad rectifier before they delivered it and said that was the extent of it's "china" problems and it was ready to go.. they ran it around their shop a bit too.

I'm just annoyed with it. I'd take it back to the shop and make them fix it... but I'd rather just get it done myself if I can. There technically isn't a warranty or anything... I acquired it in kind of a barter situation. I built the shop a website, they gave me a new quad Thought I got a killer deal up until it decided not to start

Old 01-14-2010, 04:48 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Since you traded it for a "working" web page Id take it back..

Old 01-14-2010, 06:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

yeah, I may be thinking the same thing...
seems to be getting gas, spark is good, has compression (tested via the finger over the plug hole test), oil looks alright... I'm at a loss...

This weekend I'm going to pull the carb off and make sure it's all clean and what not. If that doesn't get it worked out it may be time to take it back (or pull their website down muahahaha!). Between this bike and the '66 Bronco I have in the garage it's starting to look like a real shop! hmmm.. now I just need some tools, and the time to use them

Old 01-14-2010, 07:29 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

This weekend I'm going to pull the carb off and make sure it's all clean and what not. If that doesn't get it worked out it may be time to take it back

(or pull their website down muahahaha!).

Between this bike and the '66 Bronco I have in the garage it's starting to look like a real shop! hmmm.. now I just need some tools, and the time to use them
Thats a good idea and it wouldnt hurt to install a fuel filter.

Now Your Talking!!

Im sure your wife is very proud.. j/k If you got a harbor freight near you they sell tool real cheap,not the best but for some reason they will replace any hand tool at any time for free..even if you weren't using the tool for its intended purpose.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just an update
Turns out that changing that spark plug made all the difference in the world! Put in a new NGKC7HSA and it pretty much fired right up!

So if anyone out there is reading this and having trouble starting your machine even though it is brand new and the spark plug seems to throw a nice clean blue spark... If it's the plug that came with the bike, change that first!

I did also set that needle clip on the top of the carb to the lowest notch which is very easy to do even if you have no idea what you are doing. Now just going to play a little with the idol speed and air mixture to really get it purring! Still not sure where my gas was/is going but I figure I'm not going to worry about it and just call it a mystery for now

Thanks much for the advice, I never would have even questioned a spankin new Chinese plug would be the cause of the problems but changing it out sure did the trick.. !!!

Old 01-18-2010, 07:24 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Just an update
Turns out that changing that spark plug made all the difference in the world! Put in a new NGKC7HSA and it pretty much fired right up!

So if anyone out there is reading this and having trouble starting your machine even though it is brand new and the spark plug seems to throw a nice clean blue spark... If it's the plug that came with the bike, change that first!

I did also set that needle clip on the top of the carb to the lowest notch which is very easy to do even if you have no idea what you are doing. Now just going to play a little with the idol speed and air mixture to really get it purring! Still not sure where my gas was/is going but I figure I'm not going to worry about it and just call it a mystery for now

Thanks much for the advice, I never would have even questioned a spankin new Chinese plug would be the cause of the problems but changing it out sure did the trick.. !!!
Just one of the many parts that only look like a real part...Weird how it has a blue spark outside the engine then cant fire under compression..not the first time Ive seen/heard of it though.