Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting issues

Last summer I bought on of these for my daughter

http://http://www.mrscooters.com/ATV-25A-110.aspx

We had alot of starting issues with this unit to the point where it would run the battery dead trying to get it started. I cleaned the carb and would usually have to pull the plug, clean it, and reinstall to get it to start. That was during the summer. Now, in the winter, I choke it, and it fires right up every time. The carb is a PZ19. It seems that this would be a "too rich" condition because when it wouldnt start during the summer, it would smell of gas like it was flooded.

Does anyone know how to properly adjust these carbs?

Old 01-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok so I did a little more investigating. I see on the port side of the carb there is a set screw that has a spring on it. Is this the idle set screw or a lean/rich adjustment? If it is a lean/rich mixture, can the idle be adjusted on the carb? The throttle cable has an adjustment knuckle in it, but I cant adjust it any lower. I had to screw out the little screw on the carb to get the idle down so it wouldnt slam in and out of gear. Did I actually adjust the idle of fatten up the mixture? If I fattened it up, this would explain why it starts so much easier in the cold and why I had so much trouble flooding it in the summer. How is it supposed to be set? How else can I adjust the idle?

Old 01-15-2010, 06:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a sticky thread to help you along.

http://forums.atvconnection.com/chin...-sunl-etc.html

Once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature...lol.

Good luck and if you still have questions, just ask.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the link. I did read through it but still wondering if the spring loaded screw on the port side of the carb is for idle or air/fuel. When I screw it in, the rpm's go up, but not sure if I'm upping the idle or leaning the motor out. It seems to be the only adjustible thing on the carb. The throttle cable has an adjustment about 6" from the thumb throttle lever. Given that, I wouldn't think there would be 2 ways of adjusting the idle. But if the spring loaded screw is air/fuel, the sticky says to start at 1.5 turns out. When I do this, the idle is sky high and I cant even bring it down with the adjustment in the cable because it is maxed out. If someone had a simple diagram of the anatomy or could tell me what that spring loaded screw is, I could then head in the right direction.

Thanks
Bill

Old 01-15-2010, 09:57 PM
Trailblazer

I'm not sure if I could find an exact diagram. If the screw you turned in continued to increase engine speed the entire time you were turning it in, without the engine bogging down or coughing, I'd say that was your idle screw.

One way that may help identify it... The throttle cable runs in through the top of the carburetor? If so, the idle screw is usually in the centered on that. It pushes in and raises the throttle valve.

I may be corrected by someone else but, that is my best guess. I'll see if I can find a diagram in my travels.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:33 PM
Trailblazer
Old 01-15-2010, 10:49 PM
Trailblazer

How about this?

Old 01-15-2010, 10:50 PM
Trailblazer

Geez that came out huge...lol.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider

I know its not directly related to the problem your having with the carb but every time I've checked the valves on one of these China wheelers they have been off - this can lead to hard starting.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by drknute3
Thanks for the link. I did read through it but still wondering if the spring loaded screw on the port side of the carb is for idle or air/fuel. When I screw it in, the rpm's go up, but not sure if I'm upping the idle or leaning the motor out. It seems to be the only adjustible thing on the carb. The throttle cable has an adjustment about 6" from the thumb throttle lever. Given that, I wouldn't think there would be 2 ways of adjusting the idle. But if the spring loaded screw is air/fuel, the sticky says to start at 1.5 turns out. When I do this, the idle is sky high and I cant even bring it down with the adjustment in the cable because it is maxed out. If someone had a simple diagram of the anatomy or could tell me what that spring loaded screw is, I could then head in the right direction.

Thanks
Bill
The screw with the spring is for the idle. It raises or lowers the needle. Fooling around with the little carb adjustments is not going to make a big diff. on the starting issues. If you put on the choke and it if it doesn't fire right up something is not right like a bad plug, or poor spark or bad compression. When you used to crank it over till it killed the battery, did you ever pull the plug and check it?? Was it wet(gas soaked) or dry?? Above you said you smelled gas, is that after cranking it a long time?? I need to know what the plug looked like.

As for basic starting tips on atvs:

Make sure you have good spark and a good plug.
Make sure you are getting gas
Make sure you are getting air
Make sure you have NO exhaust resistrictions
Make sure you have good compression. Poor compressoin can be from either vavles missadjusted/or faulty, or bad rings/cylinder

Your's is/was new so I'd be inlcined to take a peek at the valve adjustment to make sure the clearance is correct and not staying open if all the rest is good. Checking valve adjustement ATV's is nothing unsual, buy a new Honda and they want you to bring it back after so many hrs to be checked too when its new.

I have a 110 cc atv to and the engine has never given us any trouble, typically on these Chinese atv's the engines are pretty solid.

Quick Reply: starting issues