1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Tao Tao 110cc ATV - doesn't stay running

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 08:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tao Tao 110cc ATV - doesn't stay running

Looking for some help. I Just purchased a new TaoTao 110cc. I have a heated garage and have no issue getting it started up inside, however after running around the neighborhood for 10-15min it starts to act up. It seems to ge boggy and has difficulty in running..if it put the choke back on and continueously flutter of and I can barely keep it running.....the dealer I purchased it from indicated it may be due to the cold weather (it has been in the 20's this week - central MN).

Again this is a new unit - per the dealers recommendation I have put in a new NGK plug, replaced the oil and added a inline fuel filter between the tank and the carb. I had these symptoms both before and after these changes.

I can understand difficulty in starting in cold weather, but once warmed up -shouldn't this run no problem?

My son would greatly appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks

Old 02-04-2010, 08:52 PM
Range Rover

I'm wondering if your vent line for the carb bowl is plugged off like several of us new Taotao 110 owners have discovered. If you have a fuel filter looking thing at the end of the vent line, pull it off, or make sure it's open. Improper venting may cause float issues. Just a guess.

Joel

Old 02-05-2010, 07:02 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi bifd187 and WELCOME to the wonderful world of Chinese ATV Ownership. It can be a lot of fun if you like tinkering with machines.

OneTenCC’s suggestion about the vent tube is a good one and hopefully that’s it; EASY FIX. Both of our’s were plugged from the factory. I dug out the plug; I think he cut off the end above the plug.

I’ve got 4 more guesses for you if that doesn’t work.

1) What’s the gap on that NGK plug? I found through playing around with my son’s Tao Tao 110 that .0027” – .0028” works pretty good.

2) Have you adjusted the idle? On the left side of the carb., about in the middle of the down tube there is a screw. Turn it in to raise the idle out to lower it.

3) You may have a vacuum leak. To check for this get the thing running and spray carb cleaner in the area between the carb and head; if the RPMs rise there is a leak. If the leak test comes up positive look for a plastic spacer between the carb and intake manifold. I’ve heard of 2 things about this spacer.

First there should be an O ring on each side of the spacer; on my sons there was only one so I cut a gasket from a Pepsi 12 pack box to replace the missing O ring. Coat the new gasket with oil and let it soak in so it will soften the new gasket up before you install it. This will allow it seal good. Totally shade tree but it does work.

Second I’ve read on here that the spacer can crack easily. If this is the case you can probably get one from the dealer or from many the the online Chinese ATV Parts stores. It’s pretty much if it looks the same and says it fits 110cc engines it’s the right one.

4) I’ve also read that the valves on these engines can come out of adjustment through the brake in process.

Hope some of this helps. ENJOY

The following users liked this post:
Boomerleaf (04-02-2020)
Old 02-05-2010, 08:04 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum bigd187!

Id go with 110cc, and nimadds suggestions..

Old 02-05-2010, 01:56 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by nimadd
First there should be an O ring on each side of the spacer; on my sons there was only one so I cut a gasket from a Pepsi 12 pack box to replace the missing O ring.

Now that is a genuine, factory certified, China quad worthy repair! Good idea.

Joel

Old 02-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Range Rover

OneTenCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimadd
First there should be an O ring on each side of the spacer; on my sons there was only one so I cut a gasket from a Pepsi 12 pack box to replace the missing O ring.

Now that is a genuine, factory certified, China quad worthy repair! Good idea.

Joel
OneTenCC you sound like a guy who has worked under a couple of shade trees before. I think the first time I used this was for a water pump on a 72 Oldsmobile Cutlass. The dog chewed up the original gasket and I had no money for a new one.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:47 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Shade tree? who you calling shade tree? ..I made a base gasget for my 82 CR480 out of a Kodak 35mm film 4 pack box once(in 1984 I think)...Darn thing blew the nite before a race and no way to get another 1 before the morning..

Old 02-05-2010, 05:27 PM
Range Rover

Oh yes. Among other things, I've had a coffee can patched exhaust system or two. In fact I just got picked on (older brother) for my vinyl siding clad exterior door threshold cover. I got sick of looking at the old weathered wooden sill, so I siliconed a 'precision cut' section of old white vinyl siding over it. Good as new.

Joel

Old 02-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Range Rover

You guys are my kind of people

Old 02-10-2010, 06:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Appreciate all the ideas, this board has been most helpful. ..... So after a couple weeks of frustration I have learned it is a venting issue with the gas tank?? By accident I noticed it ran just fine if I left my gas cap loose. The dealer indicated they recently switched to a metal tank. The dealer is working on getting us a new gas cap.

Quick Reply: Tao Tao 110cc ATV - doesn't stay running