Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

110cc taotao ROUGH under load

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 11:10 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 110cc taotao ROUGH under load

Hey guys,
First off im new to this forum, and would like to thank all of you guys that help support this forum.

If had a few of these chinese atv's, and have had some tough luck, now its time for me to learn the in's and outs of repair. Ok, I've got a 110cc (not sure of the brand ) but on the carb, it says taotao & tan desert camo. I've been reading on the forums a lil, and im not sure which route to take, and I don't want to spen very much on this one because its a lil small for my boys, but I would like to keep it running as it's nice to have arround.

Story--- Parked it last winter and it was running fine ( I think ). Now, I have a dead battery (expected). So then we jump it off, and with no batteryto run it. Runs great on idle, but it runs horrible under any load, and stalls out. Next I rebuilt the carb, run fine for a bit, now the same problem, maybe not as bad, but I'm not sure. Ok, Ive read a little about the carb vent being a problem, but I did'nt get the full story. Mine will drip fuel if I open the valve. This cant be right, seems to be a fire hazzard even with the drain tube. Im going to change the oil, inspect the gas cap, and buy a new plug in a few hours and see if that helps. I don't now anything about the valve's, or even where they are, but I'm fairly mechanical when pointed in the right direction. I've been wondering if these thing are generating enough power to run without a battery, I would think so, but then again..... Anyhow, guys thanks for your time.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:24 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your on the right track.

Is the fuel dripping from the screw at the bottom of the carb bowl or from the tube connected to the top of the carb bowl?

If it's from the screw at the bottom this is a bowl drain. If it doesn't leak when tight your good.

If it's coming from the tube at the top of the bowl this is the bowl vent and not normal. You probably have a sticking float or trash clogging up the float needle valve.

I would do a good fuel system inspection. Look for trash in the gas tank and fuel line that could find it's way into the needle valve.

Just my $.02

Old 02-21-2010, 09:31 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree completely with nimadd about the fuel issues. Do you have a fuel filter between the gas tank and the carburetor?

About the power question, the quad ignition system runs on it's own power coming from the stator. The battery, or battery charging system is not involved at all in keeping your quad running. The 12 volts system is only there to turn the starter motor and run the lights.

Think of your lawn mower. It doesn't have a battery or a starter motor. You pull on the rope and it starts and runs. Your quad is the same, only you have to use the starter motor to turn the engine instead of a rope because they didn't give a rope to pull.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:36 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum texasmongoose!

If your leaking fuel either the float is not set right or their is still dirt in the carb...could be from the gas tank if you dont have a fuel filter.. Unless youve still got the stock spark plug.. Id replace it with a NGK C7HSA, or a Autolite 4194 if you havnt already..

Most of my Chinese quads have dead batteries..they fire up with a jump start and run fine all day..

Last edited by mywifesquad; 02-22-2010 at 08:11 AM.