1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

falcon 250 help with starting and coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default falcon 250 help with starting and coolant?

brand new to the site... I was wondering if you could give me some
pointers please. I just bought a falcon 250 which i was told was
basically run for less than an hour at which point the guy that bought it
said it had a slow coolant leak. So he parked it, and it has sat for
2+years. I bought it today and it looks like it came right out of the
box. stickers and all, not even hardly dust on it. The problems I have,
It wont start... tries with fuel in the air box but then quits
immediately. Theres a wire on the right side going to what appears to be
maybe temperature sensor thats off?? It seems like theres maybe not
getting fuel through the carb. good fuel flow at least TO the carb..
I drained the old fuel, and thats. it. I guess I'll take the carb off
and clean it. Any other ideas? I dont see a choke. from what I can
gather its an automatic choke on these? I dont have a repair or owners
manual. This is my first quad other then I bought my kids an off brand
110 a couple years ago. If you can give me any help or pointers I'd
appreciate it. I think I've already just about fried the starter trying
to start it! after I get it started I'll tackle the coolant leak portion. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:02 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum ohli!

Id start by cleaning the carb and getting a NGK D8EA spark plug..Not sure about the choke but it could be a electric(auto) choke.. any wires going to the carb?

Last edited by mywifesquad; 03-09-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default got it started barely

Thanks quad... I cleaned the carb all out and put it back together.. I was able to get it started barely if I partially squeezed the air intake tube like I read on a post here. I'm well aware thats not the solution, just maybe an indicator of what might be wrong. It still wont idle and is a trick just to keep it running by squeezing the tube. Two things I'm not sure of is I think I swelled up the rubber diaphram on top of the electric choke carb., so maybe its leaking or not sealed right? and the other is the electric choke piece i'm not sure if it goes all the way in the carb( the round black piece) or if it clips in one notch above that. ??? any help is appreciated..

Old 03-09-2010, 07:38 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ohli
Thanks quad... I cleaned the carb all out and put it back together..

I was able to get it started barely if I partially squeezed the air intake tube like I read on a post here. I'm well aware thats not the solution, just maybe an indicator of what might be wrong. It still wont idle and is a trick just to keep it running by squeezing the tube.

Two things I'm not sure of is I think I swelled up the rubber diaphram on top of the electric choke carb., so maybe its leaking or not sealed right?

and the other is the electric choke piece i'm not sure if it goes all the way in the carb( the round black piece) or if it clips in one notch above that. ??? any help is appreciated..
Your welcome. Did you take the jets out and make sure you can see light thru them?

youve got a lean condition...which most of these came stock with very lean jets... I had to rejet all of mine..

If that diaphram is damaged its not good..

The e chokes ive seen had a plunger that pulled out of the carb a bit to richen the mixture. A few here years ago converted it to a manual choke with a bolt and nut to raise and lower the plunger..

Posting a pic of the carb/choke would help.. lots of different carbs out there.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

Its a electric choke and the carb is pretty much a p.o.s hate to sound blunt, but i had 1 and it wouldnt start good when cold, you might wanna check on buggynews.com they used the cn250 in some buggies and the starting problems are common, i think i read guys put primers on them and it helped and also replaced the carbs to a better option with a manual choke.

i think they used the cn250 in more buggies then Atv's the falcon 250 is the only one i think i seen one in? but i could be wrong.

as far as cooling, make sure the fan is working, they had problems with the fans and replace that crap anti freeze in it. put in good stuff! you might want to wire the fan direct to a switch or wire it to run all the time...these machines have been known for over heating.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

ohli you from IL?

Old 03-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

No... Ohli is from minneapolis. I'll fill out my profile one of these days. I dont get on line much. I think i'm going to drop this thing off for someone else to look at. I've cleaned the carb three times now.. it's still doing the same thing.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

once it warms up does it run fine? if so you need to do the manual choke conversion or find a different carb but those can be pricey and im not sure dumping a bunch of money in it is worth it?

Old 03-13-2010, 09:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

No, it never improves or even changes. I have to basically fight with choking a portion of the air intake off and finesse the throttle to keep it going. I can get it down the driveway and back, but it is a struggle and it never improves even as it gets warmed up. I'm sure its something easy, I just cant figure it out. The two things i'm wondering about is when I took the carb off to clean I did and didnt do a few things I should have. I didnt look to see the position of the electric choke assembly before I took it out. It looks like it goes all the way in, then the clip type bracket just keeps it held down. But when I look at the assembly it looks like possibly the clip could slide down into a grove at the bottom of the assembly which would hold it out about an eighth inch from full seat. Also the wire that goes from the electric choke to what looks like the temperature sensor was not on when I got it. It looks like part of the sensor that the wire goes into from the choke got broke off, so I tried to stick it back into the sensor. It went in just like it seems it should have. And the third thing I feel I dont have the warm fuzzies about is the rubber diagphram under the metal cap on top of the carb may have got carb spray on it and I may not have that sealed tight or it may be deformed. so.... Is there a way to:

1) check to see if the electric carb assembly is in right and working?
2) check the temperature sensor,(possibly had a broken attatchment for the wire) and would that cause this prob, even if i milk the thing long enough to warm up with no improvement.?
3) Check to see if the rubber diaphram is working right?? could it cause this prob??

Any help once again is greatly appreciated.

And after i get this portion fixed, I still have to find and fix the coolant leak, which now that I had the thing running is leaving a pool of coolant all over my garage floor.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:40 AM
Pro Rider

I had a falcon also and it would do the same thing, i sold it to a member here and he found the vent in the gas cap wasnt working he fixed it and it ran good, check that out, as far as the coolant leak is it leeking out of the weep hole by the water pump?