1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

ready to scrap this quad

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 05:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ready to scrap this quad

i've so many problems with it i'm almost done. my problem this time is that it won't start

it will turn over but and everything works, i checked the starter and it works but when hook it back up to the motor at the flywheel it just winds up. i'm thinking that the flywheel might be broken ?

Old 03-15-2010, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

check the flywheel? what kind is it?

Old 03-16-2010, 12:20 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

To echo hoytultratech's question: What kind of quad are we talking about?

Is the starter clutch slipping? On a lot of quads this one way sprag clutch sits between the starter and the flywheel. It allows the starter to crank the engine, but when the engine starts it overruns the clutch, disconnecting the starter from the engine. Otherwise the engine would spin up the starter motor.

Starter clutches can be replaced, but sometimes they just need to be cleaned up.

If the starter clutch is not working the starter makes a fast whirring sound but the engine doesn't turn.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

its a kazuma falcon 150

i know that on some the starter gear is suppose to expand away from the starter and once the engine is running it will dis ingage (if that makes sense?) and it does do that goes in and out. but when i look at the fly wheel i can't really tell if it is broken or not because its a very small hole to look in, i took a screw driver and stuck it in the whole and the flywheel does have a litlle bit of play in it i don't know if that is good or bad? i just can't understand how it can randomly stop working.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:43 AM
Electrical Expert

I'm assuming a 150cc GY6 engine.

Look at the fan on the side of the engine. Crank the starter. If the starter turns and the fan does not turn then your starter clutch isn't working. It might just be gummed up (in which case just clean it up). Else change it.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

what involves changing it

Old 03-19-2010, 12:10 AM
Electrical Expert

I don't know. I've never done it.

I'm pretty sure have some service info on how to do this for GY6 engines, but the service manuals are huge. These used to be freely available on line but all these places are now out of business.

How big of file can you receive as an attachment at your personal email address? I also need to check on how a big file I can send. Are you capable of receiving split files and reassembling them at your end? I'm thinking HJsplit (a freeware program that both splits and assembles split files).

The files are pdf format so you would need a pdf reader too.

Someone posted a link to a service manual (GY6) that was still downloadable in the last few weeks here on this forum. You should look back over the postings of the last few weeks and download it and save it while you can. Was it Gooster? I'm not sure...

Old 05-25-2010, 04:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi m8 I had the same problem the starter clutch has 6 bolts all had sheared cheap metal i replaced with stainless sorted now

Old 06-02-2010, 12:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

as stated before, is the white fan on the right side of the motor spinning when you engage the starter? if not then you need to take the cover off over the fan side of the motor and you will expose the fan and flywheel. you will need a flywheel puller to remove the flywheel and the starter clutch will be behind it. it will look similar to the following link Carter 150cc Go Kart Starter Clutch
let me know if this helps.
be aware there are a few 150cc engines that have the starter driving off the crankshaft by your drivetrain. look to see which side the starter is bolted into