1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Redcat MPX90 - rear swingarm bolt broke

Old 03-26-2010, 01:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redcat MPX90 - rear swingarm bolt broke

Not sure if swingarm is the right term or not. This swingarm holds the rear axle onto the frame. There is a bolt that goes through one side or turnbuckle of the swingarm, through the frame, and through the other side/turnbuckle of the swingarm. There was a castle nut with cotter pin on each end. Well, one side of this bolt sheared off right at the frame. I'm trying to remove this so I can replace it but it will not come out. I've tried driving it out with a steel punch and hammer from the broken end. I've tried driving it out form the good end also. Either way, it does not move AT ALL. Since Redcat is out of buisness, I feel I'm screwed. Does anyone know how this bolt comes out? Where can I get a parts diagram or exploded view to see how this comes out?
This is only 2 years old. We just got the carb running good and now this. I've got pictures but could not upload them for some reason. I made a pdf out of them that was only 2 MB in size but still could not upload. Maybe I could email them to someone if they email me.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:35 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

My CR250 had a frozen swing arm bolt and it wasnt even broken...was a real pain to remove...Lots of Liquid Wrench and a couple hundred hits from a small sledge hammer got it out..

Old 03-27-2010, 08:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

I was worried that I would damage something if I kept hitting on it. I'm sure there are bearings on either end of the frame were the bolt goes through. What do you think?

Old 03-27-2010, 08:45 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

The way I see it its already broken... The bearings or bushings will usually be in the end's of the swing arm.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:47 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

On the CR it took a lot of pounding to get the bolt out..almost wondered how i was going to get the bike in a press... bolt had rusted to the needle bearings and the sleeve in the needle bearings...

Old 03-27-2010, 11:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

It wouldn't hurt to replace the bearings anyway I guess. I'll pound away today and see what happens. Hopefully I won't bend any frame parts. I also though of trying to heat it some with a soldering torch. Thanks for the help. I'll come back and let you know how it goes.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

FINALLY REMOVED IT! Took a thin cutoff wheel and cut off the bolt sticking out on the other side, between the frame and swingarm. This let me completely remove the rear axle & swingarm assembly. Turned the thing on it's side and blocked up under the frame so I could really wail on it. No luck, still did not budge. So I had to use a lifeline and call my 80 year old dad. That man is awesome!! He maticuously took a hand drill and 3 different size bits and drill the thing out almost perfect. I say almost because he broke a bit in one side and we had to flip it over and start again on the other side. Once about half way down, I started hammering away and after about 10-20 good licks, it started to move.
Now there are no bearings in this piece of crap (which I bought on my own free will - never to do again though). It is a simple piece of pipe welded between the frame. The bolt just ran through it. Nothing to help absorb shock load. So now I'm going to clean the hole up with a reamer or emory cloth and get a bolt to fit. I plan on filling the thing with grease or anti-seize paste and making this a routine maintenance item (take out, clean, re-lube/anti-paste) about every other month. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider

Now that its apart could you drill a hole in the pipe and weld a piece on there to mount a grease nipple? You probably can't thread a nipple into the pipe unless its thick enough for the threads not to hit the bolt that slids through etc. That way you could just give it a couple pumps of grease every month and it would probably last trouble free.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:41 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Glad to hear you got it apart ragnoinsc.

Id like to see what your dad could do with my mill if he could do that by hand..

Old 03-28-2010, 07:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sawyer, dad actually was thinking about along the same lines. Not sure how good that would lube the bolt though being that the ends of the frame where the bolt goes would be open. The grease would probably come out before getting around the bolt. If I had a way to seal it that would be great. I'll think on it for a few days and may come up with something.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Redcat MPX90 - rear swingarm bolt broke