1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

tao tao ata150d Choke, Petock, spark plug

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 07:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tao tao ata150d Choke, Petock, spark plug

I thought I was getting good with these, but can someone tell me if there is a choke lever on that ata150d? Also, I can never find this fuel petock thing they are talking about? And third, can't find the spark plug to change either! THANKS! I am having major problems starting the machine.
Thanks again.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:59 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

The spark plug is on the right side of the engine(when sitting on the quad). towards the front in the plastic cover. Black wire leading to a cap that goes into the cover.. not sure about the petcock and choke lever on that specific machine.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:18 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could post a pic from each side, it might help.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm wondering if you have an automatic choke.

Technically it is called a bystarter valve instead of automatic choke. It works by opening up another fuel path to richen up the air/fuel mixture, rather than choking off the air supply. A heater in the valve (powered off the stator) warms up a wax pellet which expands and pushes the valve closed. The theory is that it warms up at the same rate as the engine does.

This is what it looks like:

tao tao ata150d Choke, Petock, spark plug-carb-150cc-w-autochoke.jpg

When the bystarter fails it usually sticks in the enrichen mode, so the quad starts up fine then runs progressively worse as it warms up

Not all quads come with a fuel petcock. I added mine. Some quads have a vacuum operated valve that shuts off automatically when the engine stops. When the engine starts, manifold vacuum pulls the valve open and lets fuel flow. I've never seen one of these vacuum operated valves, but I've read that they are very failure prone.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks.
You guys are all really good. I found the spark plug, and with some help from someone who knows what they were doing, we got the spark plug out but all the threads are stripped. (I forget the exact term he used). But it was almost like the plug was originally put in crooked. I'm going to get a new one and hope it goes back in.

I will check the picture and see if it is that type of autochoke.

The kill switch is kind of wierd as well. I am also having a little trouble starting it too. The kill switch is always in the center position and you can push it left or right to kill, but the switch comes back to center. Usually if I press the switch straight in one time, it starts easier.

Finally, I found how to adjust the idle, but the atv sounds and feels like it is always in a low gear. Real high pitch sound and loud!