1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

yamoto 150 gas leak

Old 04-18-2010, 09:23 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yamoto 150 gas leak

Hi all im looking for a service manual or schematic to work on the kids atv. woke up this morning to a gas leak in the garage. looks like gas is leaking from the connecting tube of the air filter box under the seat? the 2" tube is cracked at the box connection. not sure but it looks like a previous break. I bought the bike used so not sure.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

Old 04-18-2010, 11:58 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think that 150cc yamotos are GY6 engines. If so then get the downloadable manuals referenced in this link before they disappear forever:

http://forums.atvconnection.com/chin...fo-needed.html

Your needle/float valve probably got stuck open. Gas filled up the carburetor and ran out the intake port. This is a common problem. It happened to me too. Now I always shut off my fuel petcock valve when I park the quad to keep this from ever happening again. It is very likey that it also drained down into the cylinder and then into the engine oil. Take out your dipstick and smell it. If it smells like gas you need to change the oil before trying to start up the quad. Also take out the spark plug and bump the starter to purge any gas in the cylinder so you don't get hydrostatic lock up.

Do you have a fuel filter between the gas tank and the carburetor? This helps keep crud from the tank from getting down to the carburetor and getting lodged in the needle seat valve.

You need to fix that crack in the intake hose. Air going in through that leak is bringing in dirt past the air cleaner. Dirt is a real engine killer.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi thanks for replying.

That is exactly what is going on...I had gas coming out of the drain hole in the muffler, had gas pour out of the oil dipstick and the spark plug soaking wet with gas... I drained the oil and dryed the spark plug (while out I confirmed that I had spark) I tried turning it over until I didn't see gas spitting out of the spark plug hole.

Thanks again for replying.

Cheers