1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

110cc slow to start after been running

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 10:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 110cc slow to start after been running

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and new to these chinese atv's. My neighbor has a 110cc atv, I'm not sure of the brand, that had a bad starter. I helped him change the starter yesterday and that went fine. However, it still has a problem... When you start it the first time, cold start, the starter sounds strong and the engine turns over fast and it starts; however, after it's been running and you shut it off and go to start it again, the starter barely turns over the engine, very slowly and labored. It does start, but it sounds like it's turning over with a dead battery; however, the battery is brand new and fully charged - just installed yesterday as well. Any thoughts??

Thanks
-Steve

Old 04-20-2010, 11:12 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum nine driver!

Have you checked the volts as you crank the starter? Im wondering if the starter is heating up and struggling to turn?

Old 04-20-2010, 12:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply and welcome! A few follow up questions if I may:

You mentioned checking the volts when I crank the starter..
-Where should I check the volts from?
-What should the volts be?
-Would excessive or not enough volts cause it to heat up?
-Why would this only happen after the engine has been running, then shut down, and restarted?

Thanks again!

Old 04-20-2010, 12:54 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by nine driver
Thanks for the reply and welcome! A few follow up questions if I may:

You mentioned checking the volts when I crank the starter..
-Where should I check the volts from?
-What should the volts be?
-Would excessive or not enough volts cause it to heat up?
-Why would this only happen after the engine has been running, then shut down, and restarted?

Thanks again!
Your Welcome

I check them at the battery..Id check it when its cold (working well) and later when its hot( working slowly).
Something over 12
I dont know but LynnEdwards will..
Im thinking something is getting hot while the engine is running... and doesnt cool down to cold before you restart it.

But this isnt my specialty...

Old 04-20-2010, 11:53 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That's really strange. Usually the complaint is the other way around - slow cranking when cold and normal cranking when it has been run a while.

We need some more data to chew on. Take a meter and set to read DC voltage on the 20 volt (or so) scale. Measure the voltage across the battery terminals while cranking the engine both cold (normal cranking speed) and hot (slow cranking speed). When you take these readings put the red lead of the meter right on the positive battery terminal (not the lug or wire). Put the black lead right on the negative battery terminal. Once again it is the battery terminal you want to probe and not the lug or wire leading off the battery.

By probing the battery terminals directly instead of the lugs/wires the possibility of bad connections at this location don't confound the results. Note I'm just repeating MWQ's very good advice...

Also measure the DC voltage on the starter motor input terminal to ground. Put the red lead right on the starter motor screw lug, and the black lead on the starter motor metal case. Do this for the cold and hot conditions.

That's four measurements so far. There should be some helpful information gleaned from comparing these 4 numbers.

Here is an additional test: Take a pair of jumper cables and jump your quad to your car when it is warmed up and cranking slow. Does jumping the quad battery to your car change the cranking speed? Does it crank normal speed while jumped?