1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

starter stuck on

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter stuck on

i have 110cc atv, dont know the brand but made in china. my problem is that when i turn the key to the on position it starts cranking without having to push the pushstart button and continues cranking until i turn the key off. my battery is good and starter solenoid is also good, i also disconnected the pushstart button and it still does the same thing. it also has a remote start system but i do not have the remote, i was thinking that box might be the problem, is there anyway to bypass it, if i disconnect the remote start, it will not crank at all. please help me out

Old 05-10-2010, 11:30 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The way to bypass the remote control module is to unplug it - which you have done. Since the runaway starting stops when you unplug the remote then you're one step closer to getting this thing running.

For the next steps leave the remote module unplugged:

Turn on the ignition and turn on the headlights.

1) Do the headlights light up?

Apply the brakes (front and rear if you have them).

2) Does the brake lamp light up?

While the brake light is lit up, press the start button.

3) Does the starter turn now?

Question 1 establishes whether battery power is getting through the main fuse, the ignition switch, and verifies the ground return is OK.

Question 2 establishes whether the quad's safety interlock is satisfied (which requires that the brakes are applied before the quad will crank).

Question 3 is just seeing if anything is different from before, now that you know what the important things are.

If this still doesn't lead to getting the quad cranking then find a voltmeter and will go on to the next steps. I don't think this will be a hard problem to solve.

One final caveat:

When you unplug the remote module there is one small difference in how the quad functions: Once the quad starts up, you will not be able to shut it off using the ignition switch. You will have to use the handlebar kill switch instead. You can either live with this (most do), or with some simple measurements to find the right wires, add a jumper to the remote module connector to restore the ability to shut down the quad with the ignition switch.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

with the remote start box disconnected it has no power at all and no lights come on or nothing. i believe the power runs through the remote start box. i think its a remote start and not just a kill switch.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:14 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey250z
... i believe the power runs through the remote start box. i think its a remote start and not just a kill switch.
Yes, they all are. They have the ability to route around the normal start up switches, as well as kill the engine. And they do have their own power wire from the battery directly, bypassing the ignition switch. But when you unplug them you should still be left with a working quad through all the normal wiring.

When you look at the connector that the remote module plugs into, do the wires disappear neatly into the wiring harness (like this is a factory installed module), or does it look like someone ran a bunch of new wires over the outside of the wiring harness. There are after market remote start/stop modules out there, and if one of these is what is installed it may have some creative wiring to trace out.

Leave the remote module unplugged. Check the main fuse (which will be near the battery) to make sure it is OK. Then with the ignition switch off, look on the ignition switch wires for a wire that has 12 volts on it all the time (black lead of the meter connects to ground). The other three wires should have zero volts on them.

Turn on the ignition switch. There should be one more wire that now has 12 volts on it (with respect to ground) that switches on and off with the ignition switch. This switched 12 volt wire is what feeds the headlight / brake lights (through headlight/brake switches of course). Lets get that far at least before proceeding further down the wiring.

Another test to try:

Turn on the ignition. Put it in neutral and set the brake. Follow the fat red wire from the battery to the starter solenoid. Find the other fat red wire from the solenoid to the starter motor. Short those two posts with the fat wires together on the solenoid with a screwdriver (sparks are OK). The starter should crank.

Does the quad start? Do you know if the quad will start? In other words, what is the history of this quad? Bought used and totally unknown, or yours for a while and it just suddenly stopped working...

If the quad doesn't start pull out the plug, hook it back up, hold the thread against the engine. Do the same solenoid test again and see if you have spark at the plug.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

I finally got it running, the ignition had 1 wire going straight( no other tie splice points) to the remote box, which is why it didnt work with it disconnected, so i cut that wire from it and spliced it to one of the wires on the cdi, now everything is working great thanks for the help