1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

How does auto-choke work on Hensim 50cc Quad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 09:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does auto-choke work on Hensim 50cc Quad?

I just bought a slightly used 2006 Hensim 50cc quad...it runs strong so far. I don't have the owner's manual and can't find one online, so hoping someone knows how the auto chokes work.

The way the choke lever is positioned, it's easy enough to put the choke on....but it's REALLY hard to turn the choke off (try getting big fingers up in there to pull the lever down - it's in a tricky location). So I wonder how the auto choke works.

It's an issue only because when i start the thing w/ choke on it fires right up. I let it warm up for a minute or two, and it carries my 240lb frame down the street easily (yes, it's for my kid but I have to "test" it first ;-). As soon as it feels warm, I'll fish around for the choke lever and pull it down, and then it surprisingly launches me down the street even quicker. But, as soon as I stop, the motor cuts out (if I take the same ride and leave the choke on, i lose power due to the choke being on - tells me that its time to turn the choke off - but the motor still cuts out when I stop - even if i try to feather the throttle). Generally, in order to start it I have to fish around, put the choke back on....it doesn't seem to be very "automatic," and that may just be my perception of what "automatic" means since I'm new to these.

Does anyone have any advice on how these auto chokes work? OR have access to an electronic owner's manual? (Hensim website's "link" to the owner manual isn't really a link). In my head, the auto choke should mean that I turn the choke on, and i'm expecting the lever to automaticallly turn the choke off on its own when it's good and ready.

All in all, doesn't seem a bad buy for $200. I know there's a lot of naysaying on the Chinese quads, but if I can keep this running, it's a pretty impressive little machine. I like the remote control kill feature for my kid's safety.

Thanks for any advice on the choke issue!

Doug

Old 06-22-2010, 02:34 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum dlaflamme!

If its got a lever it isnt a auto choke.. its a manual one...As for your once its warmed up problem....Id turn the fuel screw out 1 turn(more than likely on the bottom of the carb) and adjust the idle screw(on the side of the carb) in until it idles...

Old 07-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Mywifesquad! I've been traveling, so haven't been able to log in. I'll definitely try what you say today. On the auto choke, that's something I've seen mentioned on the Web as part of the Hensim, but I'm with you - the lever threw me off. I figured it was perhaps semi-automatic in that maybe you throw the choke on, and when the motor's warmed up, it "automatically" throws the lever down (they put the lever in a tough spot to pull down and turn off choke).

I appreciate your advice!

Doug