1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Giovanni Mini hummer wiring issue.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giovanni Mini hummer wiring issue.

Hello All,

Today while I was adjusting the air/fuel screw, the cheap clamps that held the fuel line on popped off. I managed to get a pair of vice grips on the fuel line but not before I spilled enough fuel to get a nice fire started. By the time I dragged the ATV away from the house and got the extinguisher out most of the wiring had melted away. Good times, good times!

Anyways, I have it torn down right now and have a spare wire harness from a previous issue but now I am unable to get the atv to turn over. I cannot get the relay to click when I use the ignition switch but when I arc it with a screwdriver, the starter will engage (the fuel tank is off so I can't say if it will actually run). Since the lights are also not working, I am assuming that I have the wiring wrong somewhere. I used the little diagram in the back of the manual but as anyone reading this knows, it is not very useful. I have also looked at most of the diagrams that people have listed on this site but still no luck getting things hooked up properly. I have confirmed the battery is fine and has a good ground. I have also exposed all wires covered by tape or conduit and confirmed the sheath and connections are good.

1) Does it matter which post I attach the positive wire to on the relay? If so, how does one tell which side?

2) How do I test if the CDI and rectifier are functioning properly. They don't have any visible damage from the fire but is there a way to confirm they are OK?

3) Does anyone have pictures of their wiring for this ATV that I could take a look at? In particular, at the front where the the lights, ignition switch, relay hookup etc, are all located? I think I have the back section correct (but if you are already taking pictures and don't mind, I'd have rather be sure I have it right - lol). I know this is a big one but I am not sure what hooks up where and a picture (or explination) would be a huge help.

4) What is the most basic wiring set up I can do so I can get this ATV running? I can always sort out lights and safety switches later but the way it is wired right now, I'm not sure what is dependant on what. I would rather rewire it myself but I am not sure what all is critical (ie. do I need the rectifier)

Thanks very much for any help anyone can offer. And just so everyone can have a good laugh, I bought 6 hose clamps last night and they are sitting on my work bench. Changing the fuel line clamps was on my list of things to do this weekend on the ATV.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Update !!

Hello,

I have managed to sort out the wiring issue. It took about 8 hours over 2 days and a lot of head scratching but everything works. I have lights, both kill switches work, I don't have to arc the relay and I am getting spark. Now all I have to do is put it all back together and test it with fuel. I'm sure my carb will need cleaning as it no doubt got dry chem from the extinguisher in it.

If you had planned on sending pictures, I thank you very much however I don't require them now. That being said, since I have it all apart, I will take some pictures of my own and post them. I will also put together a wiring diagram for anyone that owns this ATV. Hopefully it will resolve issues for some other people.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default gio 110 wiring

I am having the same problem with the little 110...it will start and run if I cros the posts - no lights and the machine will shut off using either the key or handlebar switch

What a wiring mess

Any help would be appreciated

Old 08-22-2009, 08:33 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum trdnut2!

Electrical problems on these machines are a night mare...Not my specialty for sure...Hopefully either 065KFR or LynnEdwards will see this thread and offer some help...It would be awesome if 065KFR posted his pics of the wiring job he did.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi trdnut2

Most of my work has been by trial and error. The guy you really need to contact is Lynn Edwards. Unlike myself, he knows what he is talking about. He's helped most everyone on this site with their electrical issues so do a search on his name and you will find a pile of information on wiring.

He posted a PDF back around early July that he made of the wiring harness. It was excellent so I didn't even bother making a diagram of mine. Of course now I cannot find the link but I'm sure if you send him a PM he would be happy to share it.

FYI - I'm still having issues myself. I thought I had it figured out but now I am getting poor spark. I mention this only to prove that I am not the guy to turn to for wiring answers - lol.

Good luck. I'm going to be back working on the ATV this week so if I come up with the wiring diagram, I will forward it.

Chris.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

I posted the wiring diagram that is in the giovanni 110 manual.
See this link.

http://forums.atvconnection.com/kids...g-diagram.html

Chris.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:28 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by trdnut2
I am having the same problem with the little 110...it will start and run if I cros the posts - no lights and the machine will shut off using either the key or handlebar switch

What a wiring mess

Any help would be appreciated
There is a safety interlock that won't let the starter solenoid close unless the brake is pushed. If you have no lights then you probably have no power to the brake switch, so your quad won't start with the start button.

The starter solenoid closes when 12 volts is applied across the small terminals. It energizes a coil inside which produces a magnetic field that sucks down a steel plate that shorts across the two big terminals. The starter solenoid coil is energizes as follows (from plus to minus):

Battery(+) terminal to one side of main fuse
Fuse (other side) to ignition switch
Ignition Switch (when on) to brake switch
Brake Switch (when closed) to one side of the solenoid coil
Other side of solenoid coil to one side of start button
Start Button (other side) (when pushed) to ground
Ground to Battery(-) terminal

Is you main fuse blown? That would explain the "no lights". Next I would look at the ignition switch.

Thanks to Chris for posting the 110cc wiring diagram.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Can anyone help wire a hummer 200cc quad from acratch as i bought one and all i have is 5 wires from stator and a cdi and coil no wires in between cheers alex

Old 04-05-2011, 11:36 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FITZYNKAZ
Can anyone help wire a hummer 200cc quad from acratch as i bought one and all i have is 5 wires from stator and a cdi and coil no wires in between cheers alex
Hi Alex,

That is going to be a big job. Are you up to it?

You'll need an ignition switch, voltage regulator, starter solenoid, and battery as well. That is a lot of stuff (and expense) to add to an unknown quad, and why would you think this quad will run once you get the electrical working? It is not normal for quads to come with no wiring attached, and that suggests that this quad is a genuine basket case. My guess would be that the quad was stripped of everything working to fix other quads after the engine was beyond repair. Why else would this quad be missing so many essential parts?

If you decide to try and fix this quad then I would divide the project into separate milestones. Get each section working one at a time then move on to the next...

1) Get the starter motor hooked up to a good battery through a starter solenoid. Don't worry about the starter button or interlock circuitry yet. We can get the starter to turn by jumping the solenoid. AT least we can see if the engine will crank at all. You can measure compression to see if it is worthwhile continuing...

2) Get the ignition system producing spark. This involves wiring up the stator power and trigger wires to the CDI, the wire from the CDI to the coil, and at least one kill switch. We also need to determine if your CDI is DC or AC powered. DC and AC powered CDIs are wired differently, but that different wiring cn be accomplished either way through a 4 wire ignition switch.

Once the ignition circuitry is working (producing spark) you can see if the quad has any hope of starting (I have my doubts)...

3) Get the start button and starter interlock circuitry working so you don't have to jump across the solenoid.

4) Get the voltage regulator circuitry working so your new battery stays charged and doesn't run down and get ruined quickly.

5) Wire up ancillary stuff like headlights, horn, etc.

Only step 5 is non-essential.

Like I said this is a big job...

Old 04-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

Mine wont spark and it is just a air cooled 200cc 4 sp quad that says hummer on the swingarm and all i have is 5 wires from the stator red/black blue/white stripe 2x yellow and a green i have no loom whatsoever as its missing but i was given a 6 pin cdi and a rectifier with the quad although they may be wrong ones lol ps what readings should the stator give as when i turn the engine over and hold the wires i dont get a shock lol ps the wires were ripped off when someone tried to steal it {had an alarm hardwired in } or so i was told and the engine turns over fine and sounds / looks good here is the quad in question http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_500wt_1156

Quick Reply: Giovanni Mini hummer wiring issue.