Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Backfires in Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 03:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Backfires in Reverse

I finally got the Manco Talon 250 quad I picked up cheap running pretty good.. or so I thought. After rebuilding the carb., replacing the clutch, starter relay, CDI box and coil it was running pretty good. After riding it around some the other day I put it in my shed, got it out today and I now have a strange problem. It runs quite well in Low or High gear and in 2x4 or 4x4 but the minute I put it in Reverse it spits, sputters, backfires like the timing is off and dies. Put it back into a forward gear and it takes right off.. So far I haven't a clue as to what is going on so any thoughts from you all would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:19 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default Rev Override

Does it have a reverse override on the handlebar? If you can find a reverse override button hold it in and see what happens...

Old 08-30-2011, 07:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

mudslinger2 is correct. the override button has a dimple on it and is on the left handlebar above the starter button and kill/run switch. if you push the button in, then you'll have full power in reverse. it's a safety feature so village idiots can't sue the manufacturers due to stupidity.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

I checked and there is no override button on either handlebar. The left has from bottom up the starter button, the headlight slide switch and on top the Kill switch. The right has the accelerator and the Winch In/Out toggle switch. This is a 2005 Manco Talon 260 made by Linhai. I will have to go over the Wiring Diagram and see if they buried one somewhere else on this model.
Thanks for the input..

Old 08-30-2011, 09:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i have a manco talon 260cc Linhai in my driveway. the override mine's got is on the left handle above the kill/run switch and starter switch just to the right of the headlight switch. it's a button that you press/depress to actuate it. good luck.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

III John 4,

Thanks for the info. but we must have slightly different models or years or options. Mine only has the 3 switches, starter, headlights and kill switch. I have found a 'Reverse Alarm' relay mounted along the left frame rail but it is like a relay, small black box with 2 wires connected to it.. No reset so I'm assuming it's suppose to be ?? maybe a beeper or some warning noise maker..
The wiring diagram that I have shows an 'Override Switch' that is listed as an option for some models.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

I got it running, at least so far. I noticed on the electrical diagram that the 'Speed Limiter' module does tie back to the CDI unit so after confirming that I still had the problem in reverse I unplugged the wire connector from the speed limiter and tried reverse.. IT WORKED.. I reconnected the wiring and it still worked. I am assuming that with the lack of a manual Switch to reset this limiter ?switch? that by disconnecting and reconnecting the module it did a reset. I will post back with how this works out over the next couple days..
Thanks to all for the input.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

This 'Speed Limiter' switch seems to tie back to the UP switch on the tranny. Does anyone know what the function is of the UP and DOWN switches on the tranny of this model quad? I'd love to just remove or eliminate the Limiter switch/module if it does not control anything else that is critical.
Thanks for any help

Old 09-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

does the switch look like an external neutral switch? does the shifter actuate a push button on the switch? i wonder if that switch is activated when in reverse so as to limit the RPMs.....just as the regular cut out is designed except maybe your model doesn't have an override button feature and reverse will always be limited? hmmm....

Old 09-08-2011, 04:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

The speed limiter switch is just a small black box/square mounted by the CDI module. There is a switch of some kind mounted on/in the shifter box but I've not torn into the wiring harness to find the wire colors so I can maybe trace it back. I'm hoping the increase in the 'Speed Limit' switch will apply to the Reverse limit also. I assume you are correct in the fact that my model just does not have an override button
making a reset a bit more labor intensive.