1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Linhai 300cc No spark

Old 08-25-2012, 04:55 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I found two Linhai wiring diagrams (click on the thumbnails below). I haven't looked them over completely, but they're likely to be closer than the Buyang diagram:

Linhai 300cc No spark-linhai-lh260_300-b-usa-model.jpg

Linhai 300cc No spark-linhai-lh260_300-b2-usa-model.jpg

One has a shift motor controller and the other doesn't.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
[Your kill switch is different if it is the same as the buyang 300 wiring. In this case the switch is closed (terminals connected) to enable spark. When in the "run" or "spark enabled" mode the switch provides 12 volt power to the CDI. When it is open (disconnected) the power to the CDI is removed, and spark is stopped. You already mostly determined that the kill switch is working by measuring 12 volts at the CDI connector. But just to be sure and nail this down completely, measure the pink wire to ground with the CDI hooked up. If you still get 12 volts when the kill switch in in the "run" position, and 0 volts with the kill switch in the "off" position, then you've determined that the switch is wired like we think it is wired, and that the kill switch is good.]
With the CDI plugged in I do get 12 volts with the kill switch in the run position but 0 volts when the switch is in the kill position.

Uh oh. I completely messed up when I told you how to do this test. This ignition system is different. The ignition coil primary winding (what we were trying to measure) is wired from the CDI output to +12 volts (the pink wire) - not ground (green wire) like most chinese quads. I told you wrong. So redo the test but measure from the black/yellow wire to the pink wire this time. My bad...
Quite alright this machine is enough to confuse anyone.

Retest on the black/yellow wire and pink wire:
On 200 it reads 5.3
On 2000 it reads 005
On 20k it reads 0.00
On 200k it reads 00.0
On 2000k it reads 000

Another mystery is cleared up . On the 20K ohm scale, a reading of 0.18 is 0.18 Kilo Ohms, or 180 ohms. This is 1000 times bigger than 0.18 ohms, and in the realm of a reasonable value. It is especially reasonable since your new stator is not installed yet, and it measures the same. I also note that your meter is badly out of calibration since you measure 180 ohms on the 20K scale and 200 ohms on the 2000 ohm scale. That's a 10% error. It should be doing 5 times better than that, so we need to keep in this in consideration if we want to do any really accurate measurements.
Sears junk.

Unplug the stator from the wiring harness. Measure the resistance looking into the stator between the blue/yellow and the yellow wire (which hooks to black/red in the harness). Use the 2000 ohm (2K ohm) scale. What do you measure?
On the 2000 setting, I get 200.

Plug the stator back into the harness, and unplug the CDI. Put the kill switch into the run position, and crank the quad attempting to start it up while doing the following test (it won't start of course with the CDI disconnected):

1) Set your meter to measure AC volts on the lowest scale you have. Hopefully this will be 2 volts or 20 volts.

The only settings for AC volts I have are 600 and 200.

Measure the voltage between the black/red and the blue/yel wire. What do you measure?
On the 200 setting I get 00.0

Now plug the CDI back in, and set your meter to measure AC voltage on the 20 volt scale.
I set it on 200 it is the lowest I have.

2) Crank the engine as before, measuring the voltage on the black/yellow wire relative to the positive battery terminal. In other words, put your red lead on the black/yellow wire, and the black lead on the positive battery post. What do you measure?
I get 00.1 for a fraction of a second and then it goes to 0

Reverse the meters leads and repeat the test. Do you get the same readings?
With it reversed on the same 200 setting I get 00.1 continuously. It never goes to 0 like it does hooked up the other way.

This latter part of test 2 is testing the veracity of your meter, and your measurement technique.

Both are probably lousy.

They should read exactly the same. If they don't be sure to say so...
They did if only the first fraction of a second matters.

I will check the wiring diagrams and see if they are closer than the Buyang.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:38 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

First, 5.3 ohms resistance seems really high for the ignition coil primary resistance. I've never seen a coil resistance this high, but I know nothing about Linhais. So I would recheck that...

Second, I don't see any trigger voltage from your meter. But you're using a flakey meter that needs to measure AC volts accurately down to less than a volt - which is also your least significant digit. So there is a lot of uncertainty there too. Can you beg or borrow a better meter?

Third, the new Linhai diagrams (at least at the trigger coil side of things) seems less accurate than the Buyang diagram. So look to see if you also see more or less correlation between your quad and the Buyang diagram versus the Linhai diagram...

In the mean time I'm still thinking about this...

Old 08-29-2012, 02:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
First, 5.3 ohms resistance seems really high for the ignition coil primary resistance. I've never seen a coil resistance this high, but I know nothing about Linhais. So I would recheck that...

Second, I don't see any trigger voltage from your meter. But you're using a flakey meter that needs to measure AC volts accurately down to less than a volt - which is also your least significant digit. So there is a lot of uncertainty there too. Can you beg or borrow a better meter?
I will do better than beg or borrow one, I will buy one. Can you point me in the direction of a really good one at a decent price? Then I can also recheck the coil primary resistance and we will know for sure what we have.

Third, the new Linhai diagrams (at least at the trigger coil side of things) seems less accurate than the Buyang diagram. So look to see if you also see more or less correlation between your quad and the Buyang diagram versus the Linhai diagram...
I will check those other two diagrams today. I don't think anything can be much closer than the Buyang one. It matched everywhere but the start switch cluster.

In the mean time I'm still thinking about this...
I'm still thinking about that stick of dynamite.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't wanna sound like a *** but have you tried a different spark plug?

Old 09-05-2012, 06:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry about the delay in replying. Went on a little, much needed vacation.

mikertldg I did put a new spark plug in it at the first, even before ordering all the new electrical parts. Thank you though. Oh how much easier life would be if that would have been it.

LynnEdwards, I have checked the two new wiring diagrams that you posted and they are not anywhere near as close as the Buyang one. The one I have is a 4x4 but the diagram is not showing the correct wiring. The CDI on the Linhai 4x4 one is only showing 4 wires coming out of the CDI and I definitely have 5. The ignition switch is showing the standard colors for the 4 wire ignition switch (black, Black/white, red, green) and I do not have them. It does not show any of the wires coming from the LCD screen like the Buyang does. The Buyang diagram is for sure closer to what I actually have.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi I have a 2007 fa d300 atv and it will only spark somtimes? Please assist

Old 02-01-2017, 12:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

Now it does not spark at all. I've checked my plug. New plug. Checked my ignition coil, it had a break in it . But worked .. ordered a new one just to be safe. I unhooked my cdi and the back of it is all discolored and looks crystalized.. idk if that is the right word since it is just a black box but it definitely doesn't look new or ordinary. Would that be the reason for my no spark? Any insight would be appreciated

Old 02-01-2017, 03:13 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

I've no idea what a FA D300 is, but if it isn't a Linhai, you would be better starting a new thread and, if it is, the checks above should give some indication of the fault. If you do go for a new CDI make sure the earth wire to it is earthed and, once running, check the battery voltage doesn't go over 14.5V or it may cook your new CDI.

Old 02-02-2017, 04:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

It's basically like a linhai. It's a buyang fa d300. I don't get it . It was running fine after I flushed everything and greased it up. It was sitting outside for 10 years when I found it, spent a week cleaning it up. Rhode it for a few days now no spark. I think I found the culprit of it. My cdi I hope. I have one ordered . Hopefully it fixes. If not then on to the stator.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Linhai 300cc No spark