1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Rear Axle Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 09:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Axle Questions

Hi all, my Dad dropped this little 90/110 CC quad off at my house recently. He bought it really cheap as a fixer-upper for my nephews. Its a surprise for them so he brought it to my house rather than his, where they would see it. So basically I inherited the task of fixing it. I'm pretty handy but I'm not familiar with these things at all.

So to get on with it, how much play should there be in the rear axle, if any? I can slide mine side to side about 1/4 inch. Every bolt is tight.

Also, I think this may be by design, but is the brake caliper bracket supposed to be loose? For example, when spinning the wheels forward and you hit the brake for the first time, you can see it rotate a bit and clang to a stop. If you go forward again and hit the brakes its a small thud. Spin them in reverse and repeat: CLANG. Forward: CLANG. I can see the peg thats causing the sound through the bracket. I'm just wondering if that should be bolted or not?

Finally, how crooked is TOO crooked for the swing arm? I can see where it was bent/broken at the main pivot and repaired. It makes the rear sprocket about 10 or 15 degrees off from the drive sprocket. I have been suggesting that it should be replaced. My Dad thinks it will be ok "as long as the chain doesn't pop off." While I agree, I'd rather not find out if it is enough to make it pop off. Do it right the first time and all that...

Old 09-20-2013, 04:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Here is a video of what I'm talking about"

Old 09-21-2013, 10:44 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

their should be no play side to side. looks like you can loosen the sprocket and push it in to take up the slack. their should be a spacer between the sprocket and bearing. If that does not work you could take a few large washers and take up the slack. The break should be tight. Someone probably left it loose and it wore something out you will have to investigate more. you should try to get the swing arm strait you will wear out your chain and gears fast with it being out. Not to mention if the kids are flying along and it does come off they could get hurt it it jambs up and brings the machine to a screaming halt. you can find replacement parts on ebay cheep for these things.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

I had already planned on getting a new swing arm. This one is bent enough to have a kink in it. So even if I bent it back and rewelded it, it would have that weak spot. A new one wasn't very expensive. I just hope I get the right one. Thanks for the info about tightening the axle up. I just got it running yesterday so now I can tackle this step.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:38 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

you could weld it and add a pc of metal and sleeve it a bit for strength. you could even do that as a temp fix till the new one comes in

Old 09-25-2013, 11:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

I was able to take the axle off this weekend. I think I found why it was so loose. There was a gap for some sort of spacer/large washer... but it was not there. I think I'll be able to get it tight when I reassemble with the new swing arm I ordered.

The brake clanging doesn't seem to be from anything worn out. Where it rubs there wasn't even paint missing. I will just sleeve the little rod that comes out of the swing arm to make it a snug fit.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

One more bit of an issue - I took everything off to replace the swing arm but when I put it all back together I can't get those clamp bolts to pull tight. I know only 1 side is threaded. I've bent the heaviest duty hex tool I have and the sprocket still slides up and down the axle. Can anyone recommend a solution?