1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Missing components 2008 Hi-Bird

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 03:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing components 2008 Hi-Bird

I need some help. I picked up this 2008 Hi-Bird 250cc atv and am unable to get it started. After replacing several parts to get it running, I only get the starter to "whir" when pressing the ignition. I removed the cover of the compartment between the starter and the crank to discover that nothing is there. I have reached out to several shops in the area and none of them can point me to what I need or where to get it. I have been told by them that I am missing the sprag clutch, starter clutch, idler gears, or the bendix. None of them seem to be able to agree on what is missing. I can't seem to locate anything online to point me in the right direction either. I am reaching out to you all because I know there is someone out there that knows what they are talking about. I need to know what it is I am looking for. The pic shows what the compartment looked like after the cover was removed. I know that something has to connect the starter sprocket to the sprockets to the crank. Thanks.

Name:  starter.jpg
Views: 5299
Size:  160.9 KB

Old 05-31-2016, 10:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

Were did you find parts for it ?

Old 07-09-2019, 03:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Hibird

Originally Posted by jkyser
I need some help. I picked up this 2008 Hi-Bird 250cc atv and am unable to get it started. After replacing several parts to get it running, I only get the starter to "whir" when pressing the ignition. I removed the cover of the compartment between the starter and the crank to discover that nothing is there. I have reached out to several shops in the area and none of them can point me to what I need or where to get it. I have been told by them that I am missing the sprag clutch, starter clutch, idler gears, or the bendix. None of them seem to be able to agree on what is missing. I can't seem to locate anything online to point me in the right direction either. I am reaching out to you all because I know there is someone out there that knows what they are talking about. I need to know what it is I am looking for. The pic shows what the compartment looked like after the cover was removed. I know that something has to connect the starter sprocket to the sprockets to the crank. Thanks.

Attachment 14386
There should be a floating gear that slides in there,it is held in by the cover.it connects the starter teeth to the flywheel.

Old 07-10-2019, 01:51 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

The poster wanted to know 6 years ago. By now the bike will be either fixed or scrapped, possibly both.