1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

I'm stumped...

Old 12-30-2013, 09:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm stumped...

Hello all, new member here with a question. A friend recently gave me a Wildfire 50cc quad. I own a couple Suzuki's and a couple Honda's, but I've never dealt with these machines. He said it ran fine and then he began having a hard time starting it. He cleaned the carb and when he put it back together he couldn't get it started. I cleaned the carb again and seem to be getting good flow through it and I also have good spark. It really acts like it wants to start but will never get there, even with a shot of starting fluid. I know the reputation on these machines isn't that great, but it was free and I enjoy the challenge. what am I missing? Also, I can't find any info on this machine online. Does anyone know where I could find a manual? He had bypassed the kill switch on the back and I would like to put it back together,but I want to make sure I connect the right wires. Thanks in advance for you ideas!

Old 01-01-2014, 07:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you may or may not believe this, but every once in a while just a new NGK spark plug will fix it cause for some reason, some of these kiddie quads are prone to a double ground phenomenon that kills the plug once installed in the jug/cylinder. out of the 17 kiddie quads i've worked on, this $3 fix worked twice. worth a shot. who makes the wildfire? is it on the mfg tag on the front of the grab handle or on the steering downtube?

Old 01-08-2014, 10:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jaster94... Thanks for the info, I will try a new plug first. It has a brand new plug in it now, but it's worth another $3 to try. I also will look for the manufacturer name too, but it's just been too cold to mess with it. I had someone tell me that maybe the valves need readjusted?

Old 01-09-2014, 09:15 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

by any chance is the choke working properly? One of my machines is missing a clamp for the choke cable so without the choke its a real bear to start in the cold. Another thing is ask your buddy if it was still running after he messed with the kill switch? Some of them are open switches and some of them are close switches. I found this out the hard way.

Try putting your hand over the opening of the carb and blocking it partially like the choke

Old 01-09-2014, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you checked the compression? if 4 cycle may want to adjust intake value.If 2 cycle then serveral things muffler or exhaust blocked or cylinder or ring damage if compression is low. low IMO would be below 90 pounds