1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Tao tao ata 125cc D towing hitch

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 11:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tao tao ata 125cc D towing hitch

My son would like to tow a small wagon /cart/trailer to pickup sticks. Has anyone mounted a hitch to your 125cc D ? If yes ... Can you explain how you did it and where in the atv you mounted it?

Old 04-23-2014, 09:37 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right, I think I can help out a little bit.
I got a pretty similar ATV (basically the same, except scaled up to 250cc and slighty bigger dimensions).

I went about it like this, I used a bolt similar to the one in the picture (I think it was originally made for tying cows or something similar). You should be able to get it in just about any hardware store.

Then I drilled a hole in the bit of metal under the bottom rear shock mounting point.

Then you just get two nuts, one on each side and bolt it on, just be careful to drill in the center of the ATV, since the mounting point isn't centered(It's a bit to the right or left, depending on which side you've got your chain).

You can see how it looks in this picture.

And you can safely tow quite a bit. Later I had a custom bushing made for it too, just so the trailer pin fits a little better, but you don't need to bother with the small materials your kid is going to tow around.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Exactly what I wanted to know ... Thank you !!

A few more questions:

I have tried to zoom in on your picture to see where exactly the hole is you drilled under the bottom rear mount shock pint ... I can't see it ?

I do see what looks like 5 silver bolts on top of the chain guard .... 2 bolts on the left, 2 on th right and one in the top between the the top left and top right bolts.

Here a picture if what mean when i say " the chaun guard "

Thank you so much for the pictures ! I would love a more close up picture to help me understand where to drill and the a pic how the cow bolt comes into play .

Old 04-24-2014, 09:54 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right, I managed to find the proper term and the picture for the "cow thing".
It's called an eye bolt.

I marked down the area where you should be drilling and the approx. location of the hole, obviously you should be doing your own measurements to get it centered. The picture is pretty bad quality but you should see the general location of things from it.
What you're looking for is a sligthly bigger bit of metal that's above the Axle and has the shock absorber mounted on it on top.
Also the bolts you mentioned are used for tightening the chain, so you'd typically want to -not- mount anything on them.

After you've got your properly sized hole, your eye bolt and two nuts you're just going to be sliding in the bolt with one nut on each side to make it nice and tight. And then the loop on the end of the bolt should be used to attach your cart/trailer.
Also here's a video of the cart I've got, just because (The video does show how the trailer gets connected).

Old 04-25-2014, 06:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you again. That red dot helps. My son's atv chain is on the left side so I will be sure to focus on centering the hole. The quad is at my cottage so I will report back here is a few weeks hopefully with pictures

Thank you for the pictures ! And guidance . I am taking it back to the place I bought it this Saturday to have them to the first oil change and checkup as I have only had the quad for a few weeks. I might ask their mechanic to drill the hole for me

Old 04-25-2014, 09:46 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

centering it should be easy. With the single shock as pictured above the shock is always in the center

Old 04-27-2014, 09:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

i did not drill a hole. my 125D did not have room (where you drilled yours)

my 125D
Tao tao ata 125cc D towing hitch-rjmycct.jpg

GOOD NEWS though ... i came up with another way to tow. i got this cart at tractory supply company
GroundWork® Garden Dump Cart, 600 lb. Capacity - Tractor Supply Co.

and hooked it to the frame, under the seat, using trailer pin. i put some foam pipe padding on the frame so as not to scrap the frame.

Tao tao ata 125cc D towing hitch-yyjhdbu.jpg

works great! (yellow towel used for padding before i purchased the pipe foam padding.)
Tao tao ata 125cc D towing hitch-wr2qcxw.jpg

thank you sooooo much for your picture and sharing how to modifidied your quad !

Old 11-01-2014, 12:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Dstart, why are your rear tires mounted backwards? Fronts are mounted like a directional tire with the Chevron tread pointing forward. Your rears are reversed. Any reason for this?

Old 11-02-2014, 05:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

Wow I never noticed that ! Small town motors where I bought it assembled it... I will take it back and have them fix that. Thank you for letting me know.

Old 11-02-2014, 10:08 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

they just put the rims on the wrong side. just swap the tire and rim side to side. Way easier than taking it to a shop and having them do it.