Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Help Please!!! NO SPARK

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 01:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please!!! NO SPARK

First, I would like to say that I hate to make my first post be such a problem but I have found a lot of useful info here and I'm hoping to find a little more.

I have come into a 110 chinese quad. Manufactured by Jonway Zhejiang. It has seen better days but been a good project so far for me and my boys. We have repaired the frame and engine mounts and got it all back together. Now it will crank but no spark.

I have found several posts by Lynn Edwards about trouble shooting this issue and they have been very detailed but right from the start I have a problem.

This has a five pin CDI. When I remove the KILL SWITCH wire I still have to have the selector switch on the left handle bar in the run position AND one of the brake switches, hand or foot, engaged to get the engine to crank. (still no spark) Should this still be right? Reading his instructions lead me to believe that removing the kill switch wire should allow the starter to go without any of these switches engaged. There is also a remote control mudule in the wiring that I do not have the fob for. I have tried with and with out it plugged in with no change.

Thanks for any help.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:34 PM
Trailblazer

have you replaced the cdi box thats the first place i would start you can pick one up on amazon for around 5 bucks

Old 03-18-2015, 07:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks. I've tried the cdi, coil and stater. Still no spark. Everything tests out the same except the new stater is reading a bit higher voltage then the old one. I can't detect anything going to the coil which makes me suspect the cdi even though I've tried replacing it. Anyone suggest a reliable source if I decide to try a new one?
I am also wondering if the starter is not spinning the flywheel fast enough. Thinking of trying to get a drill on it tomorrow.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:18 PM
Trailblazer

I get the ones with a led light on the end the light shows when you are getting fire there is a chance you got a bad cdi

Old 03-18-2015, 08:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm suspecting the CDI as well. Any suggestions on where to find one with the LED indicator? I have not seen them anywhere I've looked.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:58 PM
Trailblazer

Amazon its a high performance cdi box

Old 03-18-2015, 09:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks. Similar to this one? hope this works as a link still figuring this place out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-CDI-Box-Chinese-Go-Kart-ATV-Pit-Bike-50-70-90-110-125cc-NEW-/281489648982?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item418a172d56&vxp=mtr

Old 03-18-2015, 09:57 PM
Trailblazer

Yes that it the one you can get it with a hi performance coil and spark plug all three for 17 bucks

Old 03-18-2015, 09:57 PM
Trailblazer

Also check all of your grounds they make a big difference

Old 03-19-2015, 09:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks. I tried putting a drill on it this morning and still no spark. I've been through the grounds and looked over the wiring harness and every thing checks out and looks good. I'm thinking the cdi's I have are bad. The only thing that's bothering me is I've read in multiple places about removing the safety switch wire from the CDI and you should be able to crank the motor with out any switches engaged but removing that wire is doing nothing for me. They still have to be on or the brake engaged to get the starter to go.

Quick Reply: Help Please!!! NO SPARK