Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Chinese 110 ATV turns over as soon as battery is connected?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 09:01 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chinese 110 ATV turns over as soon as battery is connected?

I am working on a chinese 110 ATV for a customer. I am a certified motorcycle technician with a small repair shop. I haven't worked on these chinese ATVs before. I just installed a new starter and solonoid. The customer had an issue where the bike would not start and he bought a new battery. When I got the ATV the relay was clicking when I would hit the start button. The taillight would turn on with the key. I pulled the starter off and there were some broken pieces inside. I ordered a new starter and a new solonoid.

I installed the new starter and solonoid and began to connect the battery. As soon as the battery is connected the bike starts turning over. I checked over all of the basics but kinda stumped now. It's getting a constant flow of voltage to the starter like the solonoid isn't even there.. And it's brand new. Before i installed the solonoid and starter the bike when I would press the starter button the solonoid would at least just click as though the circuit was working correctly..

I regrounded the negative cable to one of the 3 starter mount bolts.. Hmmm could it be the new starter itself? Or could the safety remote starting system have an issue? I disconnected and nothing also.. Cheap ATVs I tell ya

Old 05-12-2015, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Precisionwatercraftmotorcycle
I am working on a chinese 110 ATV for a customer. I am a certified motorcycle technician with a small repair shop. I haven't worked on these chinese ATVs before. I just installed a new starter and solonoid. The customer had an issue where the bike would not start and he bought a new battery. When I got the ATV the relay was clicking when I would hit the start button. The taillight would turn on with the key. I pulled the starter off and there were some broken pieces inside. I ordered a new starter and a new solonoid.

I installed the new starter and solonoid and began to connect the battery. As soon as the battery is connected the bike starts turning over. I checked over all of the basics but kinda stumped now. It's getting a constant flow of voltage to the starter like the solonoid isn't even there.. And it's brand new. Before i installed the solonoid and starter the bike when I would press the starter button the solonoid would at least just click as though the circuit was working correctly..

I regrounded the negative cable to one of the 3 starter mount bolts.. Hmmm could it be the new starter itself? Or could the safety remote starting system have an issue? I disconnected and nothing also.. Cheap ATVs I tell ya
Not sure why a certified motorcycle mechanic would blame it on a starter. Not trying to push any buttons, but a starter only turns with power to it.

Is this solenoid mounted on the starter? Can you post pics of the quad and/or post the make/model? Maybe post the part number of the starter and solenoid you purchased? There are too many variations of 110cc Quads out there. More info and we will try and help.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

MPDano I am not blaming it on the starter. I was just throwing this out there to get some feedback and see of anyone else had the same issue.. Il figure it out.. Have been a certified motorcycle and pwc technician since 97.. Take care

Old 05-16-2015, 03:15 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Sounds like a faulty solenoid, disconnect the thin wires to it, re-connect the battery, if the starter begins to turn it is a faulty solenoid. If it only starts to turn when you re-connect the thin wires, there is a wiring fault, most likely a stuck starter button.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

Most Chinese atv's have the solinoid mounted in a rubber insulator to prevent it from grounding to the frame or engine. They don't send 12 v positive from the start switch to the solinoid like others. This gets a lot of people who have never worked on them. If the solinoid is making a ground from it's metal housing to the frame or engine it will start turning over like you are experiencing. I had to actually show someone this a couple of months ago, he would not either believe me or he couldn't get his head around what I was saying. Also, I have replaced many start switches as most of them are not made very well to last very long. I have even just installed a separate switch using a quality water proof unit when I either couldn't get the original handle bar assembly or the customer didn't want to wait for me to get one sent In. We have also replaced the stock solinoid with a general automotive part that was isolated from internally and put a jumper wire with a fuse from the positive coil to the post main battery was on and then supply the ground for the solinoid coil from the factory wire. You have to take 1 of the 2 wires from the connector and connect it to a constant ground source. I have never replaced another starter solinoid after doing this. That also removes any chance of problems with the rubber insulator rotting and allowing the solinoid to fall out and shorting. I have also had new solinoids to be bad right out of the box more than once.