Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Tao Tao 110cc starter issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 09:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tao Tao 110cc starter issue

Hey guys. I've read through all the fourms I can find relating to my starter issue. My issue is slightly different though. First I've had issues before with starting and it ended up being dirt in the foot break relay not allowing the switch to pull in and out enough however the hand break still allowed the quad to be started. The break light doesn't go on at all even with the new foot break switch installed I've tried keeping it loose and also tightening it. Either way I don't think this is the issue. The battery is new and charged. When trying to start the quad the starter makes a humming/whinning sound not a typical click a starter usually makes when there's a problem. I tried touching the two bolts together on the starter with a screwdriver... there IS a small spark but starter won't turn, it does however make a very quiet but fast typewriter type sound when bolts on starter are being touched but definitely not a click or a turning over sound. im not sure if im just hung up on the sound its making but i dont know if the starter is actually bad considering it does make a noise..just not a common noise. thanks for your time reading all this and for any advice

mike

Old 05-18-2015, 07:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Verify you got at least 12 volts to the starter. If so, pull the starter off and see if the starter spins. If so, verify you can turn your motor over by hand.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:21 AM
Blastin With My Blaster!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikematthews
Hey guys. I've read through all the fourms I can find relating to my starter issue. My issue is slightly different though. First I've had issues before with starting and it ended up being dirt in the foot break relay not allowing the switch to pull in and out enough however the hand break still allowed the quad to be started. The break light doesn't go on at all even with the new foot break switch installed I've tried keeping it loose and also tightening it. Either way I don't think this is the issue. The battery is new and charged. When trying to start the quad the starter makes a humming/whinning sound not a typical click a starter usually makes when there's a problem. I tried touching the two bolts together on the starter with a screwdriver... there IS a small spark but starter won't turn, it does however make a very quiet but fast typewriter type sound when bolts on starter are being touched but definitely not a click or a turning over sound. im not sure if im just hung up on the sound its making but i dont know if the starter is actually bad considering it does make a noise..just not a common noise. thanks for your time reading all this and for any advice

mike
Try jumping it right at the starter to verify if the starters bad.