Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Tao Tao 150B Quad - Cranks but doesn't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 10:20 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tao Tao 150B Quad - Cranks but doesn't start

Hey all,

New to the forum and glad to be here. I have been messing with this quad on/off for the last several months. I travel quite a bit, so I rarely get a chance to devote some good time on troubleshooting.

Now, I am not mechanically inclined, but i know how to take things apart, put them back together, I know how to use a multimeter, check compression, and check spark. I take apart electronics all the time.

I got this quad on a trade and before trading, the quad worked beautifully. We rode for about an hour then took the quad home. When we got home, rode for another hour or so, then in the garage it went.

The next time we rode it, it wouldn't start due to a dead battery. Replaced battery and off we go. Rode for about 15 minutes, then died. Since then, I have not been able to get it to start. It cranks and cranks and cranks, but never turns over. I have tried taking the carb out and cleaning as suggested online/youtube cleaning jets and all. I am getting spark. I have even tried carb cleaner in the spark plug hole... nothing seems to work. When I try carb cleaner, it sounds like it wants to turn over, but when i apply throttle, sounds like it just chokes out and dies.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! It is starting to cool down here so I might have some time to do more troubleshooting. My boys are bummed because we haven't been able to ride since we got it a year ago.

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-08-2015, 09:30 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

are you getting a good strong spark? Iv seen them have spark but its not enough to fire the machine up.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Zrock
are you getting a good strong spark? Iv seen them have spark but its not enough to fire the machine up.
Thanks for you help. What is considered a good spark? If spark is low, what can cause that?

Old 09-10-2015, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pgamboa
Thanks for you help. What is considered a good spark? If spark is low, what can cause that?
Bad plug, weak coil, bad spark plug wire.

Are you sure your getting fuel to the carb? Try a little capful of actual gas down the plug hole. I use starting fluid, eventhough some users will say not to. I have yet to damage my engines using that technique. I think you have a fuel issue.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey all, so I was able to spend a little more time on this. I can spray some starter fluid down the spark plug hole and crank. It seems like its gonna turn over, but doesn't. When i apply throttle, it just chokes. When i messed with, the throttle was stuck and seized so I had to pull the carb out and unseize the throttle. I about to just take my loss and sell this thing as is. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance all!

Old 01-28-2016, 11:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok.. New update. Was able to get the quad started by spaying carb cleaner in the spark plug hole with a straw. It started but only stayed on for 2-3 seconds. When i give it throttle, it just dies. I have a new carb coming in a few days and hope that's it. But if it does the same, anyone have any ideas?

Old 01-28-2016, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

I think this will resolve your issue, but have you tried to clean out the carb real good? Specially the main and idle jets. When you get your new carb, verify the float is working as it should by putting a tube on the fuel inlet and blowing and flipping the carb over and it should seal.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

I will try that. The new carb should be here soon. I cleaned the old carb really good and can see daylight through the holes of the main jet and the other jet. I will try your tip of blowing into the fuel inlet to see if the float closes and seals. There are two adjustments screws on this carb. One i know the idle screw. But there is another screw towards the bottom. Not sure what that screw is for. There is a needle in it and looks like it is part of the fuel overflow.

Thanks!

Old 01-29-2016, 07:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

New carb came in today, and like a kid on Christmas, installed it. Still doesn't start up. Cranks and cranks and cranks... Put another shot of carb cleaner down the spark plug hole and it starts up for a sec, then dies. What gives?

Old 01-30-2016, 08:45 AM
Pro Rider

This is fuel delivery. Did you verify fuel flow if you remove the fuel line connected at the carb? New or old gas? Also, do you have the air filter installed as it acts as some back pressure to get the fuel flowing thru the carb.

Quick Reply: Tao Tao 150B Quad - Cranks but doesn't start