Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

2005 Linhai 260cc ATV No Spark

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 03:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Linhai 260cc ATV No Spark

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and am hoping someone out there can help me with a no spark issue I am having with my ATV. I have the service manual and I have replaced/checked everything that I know how with the exception of the Digital Igniter Unit. Does anyone know how to test this item to verify if it is bad or not. Thanks in advance for your help. Stacey

Old 10-17-2015, 09:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Digital Igniter Unit? You mean the CDI?

Old 10-17-2015, 09:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

No, it is a Digital Igniter Unit. This model of Linhai does not use a CDI. Does the same thing as a CDI but uses a different level of voltage for the ignition coil.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Update

OK, so I replaced the Digital Igniter unit, still no good. So, I have replaced the coil and CDI, verified my Kill switch works correctly, verified no grounds and good continuity in all of the wires. I verified I had the correct ohm readings (according to my service manual) for the pickup coil (Trigger) but have done nothing else with it. I do have a question. I have 12Vdc going to one of the contacts on the ignition coil, as it should according to my service manual. The coil is only suppose to have 3.6-4.8 ohms between the contacts so I assume I will see the 12Vdc on the other contact when connected (which I do). However, while sitting in a static condition, just for the heck of it, I checked the voltage on the spark plug cap, and I have 12vdc sitting on it, and therefore sitting on the spark plug while it is on it. Is that normal. That wire is coming off of the secondary coil and I had thought that voltage must be flowing through the primary coil in order for it to induce voltage on the secondary coil. I know a little bit about how coils work, but have no idea if that is the way that they are suppose to work on ATV's. Again, just for the heck of it, I check the voltage while trying to turn it over, and the 12vdc that was on it before just trickles down to zero. Any ideas on what to do? Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks Stacey

Old 04-14-2016, 01:53 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2005 Linhai

I'm new to the forum and saw your post about the Linhai. Were you able to fix it?

Old 04-14-2016, 05:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hello, and welcome to the forum. No, I did not. I got tired of working on it and have really not gotten the time to get back into it. I do want to fix it, and think it would be a great ATV, but the no spark thing is killing me. I think what it boils down to is that the ignition coil is bad and I cannot find another one like it. I have ordered a couple that says that are supposed to fit, but IAW the service manual, they neither one measure out with the specs that they are suppose to be (as in ohms). Do you have any suggestions?

Old 04-14-2016, 04:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2005 Linhai

I do have a suggestion. First off, has your Linhai ever run? I have an 04 that had a similar issue. I would ride for random amounts of time and then it would stall. When I would try to restart it there would be no spark and it wouldn't start unless I turned the wheels back and forth. What happened when turning the handlebars was an intermittent connection at the brake switch (on the brake lever). The brake lever was loose and would sometimes come to rest in the wrong position and cause a no spark. After examining the electrical schematics I realized part of the ignition system runs through the brake switch. Check the schematics and you"ll see what I mean. It's a safety designed to only start if you have the brakes engaged via the brake lever. My thought is as you are trying to start it the brake switch is in the wrong position and not allowing it to start. If I remember correctly the starter will still turn but there won't be spark. You should be able to figure it out and adjust the brake switch/lever from there. I hope this helps and good luck!