Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Out of space oil usage - really need help

Old 11-15-2015, 01:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Out of space oil usage - really need help

Hi guys , i really need some help with this one . ATV is linhai 600 efi 552 cc 4x4
that sat for 2 years . 1600 KM ( 998 miles ) with 92 hrs . First thing i did an oil change , i owned some motorcycles and i used Motul 5100 10w40 4T oil not 100% syntethic , i couldn't find an oil filter so i just cleaned it ( it only had like 300-400 kms ) . Now the problem is , i had a huge oil consumption , and this 300ml ( ~ 10 oz ) on 30-50km ( 18-30 miles ) . While reading all i could on this forum and other websites , i took it slow from
- Blue smoke , only when at MAX Rev for a few seconds , after that it stops even if u keep it at max rev where the motor is poping the smoke will vanish
- Sparks look good ,absolutely no oil there , a little black , but i never changed them so they have 4 years now
- Absolutely no leak whatsoever
- Air filter extremely clean , i even looked at throttle body , clean no oil
- Exhaust is clean , gas smell no stranges smells there
- I checked water cooling system , no oil there
- Checked transmission oil , clean and the same amount as it was before oil change
I dont have a dipstick i am looking thru a small glass . Another strange thing was when i got the first oil out , it was only 100ml in the tank ( 3,38 oz ) and at refill i could only pour 1l ( ~1 quart ) to MAX on the small glass ( i know it was low on oil but still ..) .
I will change the oil first i will go with some 100% syntethic motul powerquad and take it for a ride, if i see the same usage again , i will definitely open the motor for new valve seals and piston rings.
Does anyone have some other things that i could verify ?

Old 11-16-2015, 03:02 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

I think you are over-reacting. It is not using much oil if you don't get a lot of blue smoke. It is not leaking oil, so that means you got a false reading on the sight glass, either it wasn't level, or some oil got stuck on the glass or you just read it wrong, sight glasses are a bad system anyway. You don't need full synthetic, any wet clutch oil will do. Keep an eye on the sight glass to make sure you don't run short of oil, but just use the machine for a while. I'm sure the level will settle down.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:31 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

oil levels are extremely sensitive to being on a level area. If your machine is tilted even 1/4 inch in any direction it can have a big impact on oil level. As long as you see oil in the glass dont worry about it.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Engine is teard down . Piston rings don't have more than 0.5mm space and pistons look great . Going to dig it.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Zrock
oil levels are extremely sensitive to being on a level area. If your machine is tilted even 1/4 inch in any direction it can have a big impact on oil level. As long as you see oil in the glass dont worry about it.
I leave it in the garage in the same spot . I checked the glass it was 1/4 empty . Took it for a serious ride for 10 km on 5500+ RPM . Check the glass after 4-5 hours again when the engine was a little bit cold , got 3/4 empty . AND this time , alot of BLUE SMOKE . It doesn't smoke on idle or cold start , but when u ride like u stole it , it smokes blue like an old tractor . Going to check a little things tomorow and i will be back with info .I think ill do a rebuild if its open anyway

Old 11-16-2015, 02:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

I already found a very bad camshaft wich i need to buy new , gonna see how the other one looks tomorow. I think it ran like 5-6 km or even idle with very low oil . Everything else seems to be in place and looking ok'ish. After i got the valve guide seals out , i see some movement , the valve is moving in its guide but its very very small.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

As i said before , atv did 50 km with low oil , but not empty . Camshaft is busted . Still i can't find why is burning my oil , everything looks good . Im going to install new rings anyway , even if the old one are good but i messed with them a little bit . I will install new valve seals too ofc . But i couldn't find where is he eating all that oil . Im thiking at valve guides , but the milage is just too short for that . Somebody could tell me what else should i look for

Old 11-19-2015, 07:04 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

There are three basic causes of high oil consumption, worn or broken rings, particularly the bottom one, which is the "oil control ring." Leaking valve seals, they could have been faulty from new, or a head gasket leaking between the oil gallery or cam chain slot. Are you sure the engine hasn't been seized, a worn cam at low mileage would point to this.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

Already ordered all you said plus other things . Cam worn are because of low oil for 20-30KM . Still the crank is good so that is why i started to rebuild in the first place . Since i can adjust valves and rocker arms , i will do some work on my cam's because i didn't found new ones yet and see how it goes . Bought new rocker arms tho , don't want to scratch the cams again . Its my first engine so , i am taking it easy because i need alot of reading between proceses . The reason i'm doing it is that the atv came free so it worth the play with it anyway