Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

No Spark, anyone tired of these yet? :)

Old 05-05-2016, 12:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Spark, anyone tired of these yet? :)

I have searched through these forums and found plenty of info, but no suggestions have remedied my situation yet. Figured I would start a thread with my specifics.

Originally I had a no crank situation, if I jumped the solenoid I could get it started, so I started trouble shooting that one. Found the wire in the start button had broke off. Instead of replacing I decided to put a pushbutton starter switch in. I ran a wire direct from the battery to the switch then to the solenoid. Wouldn't crank. Cut the ground (other solenoid wire) and went direct to the battery with that one. Now it cranks but has no spark. Went through all the 5 pin cdi test as put forth by LynnEdwards and everything checks out. Still get no spark with the green kill wire disconnected at the cdi. Tried a different cdi and nothing. The ground wire I cut at the solenoid I then also jumped to battery thinking that may be an issue, still nothing.

My biggest confusion is why it was running before and all I did was install a pushbutton switch. Shouldn't it still fire with the kill wire unhooked?

Old 05-06-2016, 07:40 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 05-08-2016, 05:24 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Quad bike electrics, particularly Chinese ones are electrically complex. Simply fitting a press button in place of the start button should result in everything working, but you didn't do that, and have reversed the way the solenoid works, the old button must have been live from ignition to solenoid, earth through start button. Although this would work if nothing else was originally connected to the wires to solenoid and button, if there was, you will get problems. Always use the original set up if you can, modifications lead to headaches.