Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Identify ATV and resolve no spark

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 06:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Identify ATV and resolve no spark

Good morning beautiful people, my first post (of many to come). Enough with the flattery, I need help!!

I've blindly acquired a 250cc double cylinder Chinese quad (See pic).

I don't know the brand and there is no spark.

This poor girl has been through so many hands, that I don't know what parts are standard and what parts are not. all markings have been removed, the bars on the front have been chopped and don't get me started on the state of the wiring.

The motor is a JL253FMM
so I figured that this engine is the Chinese copy of what was originally in the Honda Rebel and some other bikes. (searching "253fmm" offers most parts for purchase, but also many varieties of the same item, EG the CDI unit comes as AC or DC)
Really good compression, the engine and mechanical components looks good.

I've cleaned up the wires and tested them for continuity. plugs are new, coils seem good, stator seems ok (not new but not burnt out), ignition switch is good, unsure if regulator is working properly but it seems that current flows equally.

THE ISSUE: CDI unit was taped up to keep the wires in place as the male 4pin plug was missing. the unit has 7pins: 3 and 4. the 3 had only 2 wires going in, one from the stator (red) and one (black/white) from the switch on the handle bar. the other four wires consisted of a blue/yellow from the stator magnet/pulse generator, one earth and two coil wires, as the bike has two coils.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:38 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

First thing i would do is pull the plastics and fix the wire harness properly. This means no crimp on connectors, solder and shrink wrap all damaged and hacked connections. Replace any missing connectors and then go from their..

Old 09-28-2016, 06:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for your reply Zrock.
I am replacing the 4pin male connector that goes into the CDI unit, but my trouble is figuring out which wire goes where.
This picture resembles the CDI that I have currently (note the 3pin connector):

But, I have only 2 wires for this connector.
This diagram shows that a third wire exists in some models:

Is it possible to use a CDI that looks like this (made for a varient of the same engine):

using this diagram (note one less CDI wire):

or possibly joining the 2 spark plug wires...

Either way, it seems like I can't find information on the config of the 4pin plug. There are two spark plug wires (1 for each cylinder) and I don't know which pins to use for them. Online CDI diagrams shows either 1 or 2 ground wires in the 4pin socket, but no one mentions anything about 2 spark plug wires and where to put them.
(I have continuity between 2 of the 4 pins)

Any sparks of genius?

Old 09-29-2016, 09:14 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

your showing pictures of 2 different CDI units. One is a AC cdi and one is a DC cdi. you will need to find the proper diagram for your cdi with 2 coils on it. The one you are showing is for a different voltage cdi and may not be the same.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't find anything specific to this other than the engine manufacturer (Jialing)...but knowing this hasn't turned up anything useful...sorry bro...

Old 09-29-2016, 10:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for replies!! you guys have been very helpful so far.
Turns out my cdi has only 2 pins in the smaller socket, the male connector had 3 so I think it may have missed the pins.
here's my CDI and the harness seems to match up to the CMX diagram.

Any idea which pins in the cdi are for the coils and which one is the ground?
Cheers