Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

New to me taotao 250 stupid problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 07:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me taotao 250 stupid problem

Hola people, I bought a new to me taotao 250. I rode the rig around and everything felt fine. Here's the stupid problem, the headlights didn't work when I brought it home, I failed to check this. Well it has a busted headlight switch, figured this was the problem so I ordered a new one from ebay. Got it and installed it no problems. The headlights in fact do work so good deal. Problem is with the new switch installed it won't crank what so ever. Is it possible that the switch I got is bad somehow. I put the old one on for now and it cranks and runs like a champ. I do notice one thing though whenever I pull the brake with either switch installed the brake light does not brighten up at all. If someone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:19 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

If the switch was made for a Taotao 250 then yes, you bought a dud, however if it is "universal Chinese" the problem is that Chinese wiring looms are not universal. I got a cheap, pattern switch unit for a Honda 400EX and fitted it to a 350 Honda. Different plug for the loom, so swapped the plug from the old switch unit, then found the kill switch worked the opposite way and the bike would only run in the kill position. So Honda was using earth to kill on one model and earth to run on the other.

If your rear light is not LED, a bub or filament may have blown. Or the switch on the handlebar lever may not be making contact.