Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Help understanding electrical/lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 02:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help understanding electrical/lights

Hi everyone -

Now that I have these two Tao 125's up and running, I want to play around with upgrading the lighting. I'd love to do a LED head light, brake light, and also add additional parking lights/LED light strips.

I have no idea what the electrical system is like or how to "tap" into it. Anyone have any tips on starting this upgrade project? These things run on a 12v6ah battery -- not sure how much load this battery can sustain. I guess I don't know where to start.

Thanks in advance!
Shane

Old 10-25-2016, 09:34 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

if yoour replacing stock with led you will be fine as led takes less voltage to operate. Adding 1 -2 extra parking leds should be fine.. Probably getting back up to the voltage of the original lights

Old 10-26-2016, 09:03 AM
Dealership/Service Center

As far as the head and tail lights go, they are driven from the stator. That being said, they are supplied with AC voltage that will not work for LEDs. If you want to use LEDs, you'll have to either add a light switch or rewire the current one.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:33 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by WMSBrighton
As far as the head and tail lights go, they are driven from the stator. That being said, they are supplied with AC voltage that will not work for LEDs. If you want to use LEDs, you'll have to either add a light switch or rewire the current one.
Headlights maby but taillights no... Taillights come on when depressing the brake to start

Old 10-26-2016, 09:38 AM
Dealership/Service Center

The running light is stator driven while the brake light is from the battery.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi everyone -

Took a look under this morning at the electrical/lights. There's a large bundle of wires coming from the light control on the handlebar -- is there a way to figure out what they are all for -- some sort of electrical diagram?

Thanks,
Shane

Old 11-22-2016, 08:34 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by WMSBrighton
The running light is stator driven while the brake light is from the battery.
ALL lights I have encountered on bikes/atvs use DC voltage which usually comes from the battery paralleled with the voltage regulator.
However in some cases the "running" lights wires may pass through a relay switch which is activated only when the engine is running. This is to prevent battery drainage if one forgets to switch off the lights.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:56 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Shane72
Hi everyone -

Took a look under this morning at the electrical/lights. There's a large bundle of wires coming from the light control on the handlebar -- is there a way to figure out what they are all for -- some sort of electrical diagram?

Thanks,
Shane
Yes there is a way. Electrical diagram if you can find and understand one.
Or my way. I have fit extra led lights on my bike.
Follow the wires from the head lamp until the 1st sockets.
Using a voltmeter measure the voltage between the 2 wires (or 3 wires - colours vary but usually green or black is ground and red or blue positive). Anyway the voltmeter will tell you which is which. It's important to know which is positive and which is negative because led lights have to be connected strictly with positive to positive and negative to negative. Wrong polarity may result in smoke!!!
To be sure that they are the lights wires 1 st measure with the light switch off (reading 0v) and with the switch on (reading 12,.. v). You could do the measurement in reverse order it makes no difference.
Now that we know which wire is which you can now tap into the relative wires and connect your led lights.
In the above proceedure I have assumed that the light switch is on low beam. If you want your led lights to be on only on high beam then you can do the same proceedure to find the high beam wire and connect it.
The same goes with tail lights.
If the led head lamps you are fitting are equipped with a high beam feature then it will have 3 wires - one ground(negative), one positive(low beam) and another one positive(high beam).