Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

ATV runs well but will not move

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 08:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV runs well but will not move

Hey ATV Gurus,

My friend brought over a 2005 Yukon E-ton CXL-150 that hadnt run in years. after replacing some hoses, the carb, and putting a new bat in it it ran like a champ. But now it will not move! put it in F or R nothing happens. i thought the belt was broken but the belt is "fine" (probably should be replaced but its not broken). Im not expert on CVT transmissions but it didnt seem to be working right when i reved it up with the transmission case off. neither the crankshaft variator nor the clutch variator move at all when i give it gas, my understanding is that they should open and close changing the gear ratio in the process. i put a link to the video of the ATV CVT so someone a little more knowledgeable about this could give their 2 cents. Is it common for these to go bad like this? and would this have the effect of the quad not being able to move?

If this is in fact normal, what other things should i look at? i guess the problem would have to be on the other side of the transmission.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Video of my transmission

Old 12-10-2016, 09:29 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Looks like they need to be pulled apart and cleaned out. Could be a buildup of dirt, rust, or something else in the CV's causing them not to open and close

Old 12-10-2016, 09:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

would this cause the ATV to be unable to move when in gear?

Old 12-11-2016, 10:35 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

yep its a possibility

Old 04-23-2017, 09:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just an FYI is anyone ever comes across this, it turned out to be a bearing that would jam not allowing the shaft to rotate. Could be remedied by manually working the shaft, spin it out of the dead spot but it will eventually need to be replaced.