Club News and Events Share information about ATV clubs, club activities and membership, ATV events, etc.

PA RIDERS MUST READ

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2000, 09:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read this message:

Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR)
Secretary John Oliver has announced a moratorium on construction of new ATV
trails in Pennsylvania. Governor Ridge's office has informed DCNR that they have
received more comments, both pro and con, on the issue of ATV access than any
other issue since the governor took office in 1994.
Sierra Club volunteer Richard Martin has undertaken a survey of state
forest managers and solicited comments and photographs to not only keep this
moratorium but to permanently ban ATVs from all public land in Pennsylvania.
Comments like "ATVs are probably the most intrusive problem that we face in
managing our state forest lands" from the Kittanning State Forest manager and
"Illegal ATV entry onto the State Forest is evident on almost every block of
lands" from the Delaware State Forest manager aren't helping the OHV access
issue.
Sierra Club volunteers are being encouraged to document, with descriptions,
times, dates and photographs, all damage and illegal ATV activities throughout
this period to encourage DCNR to close public land to OHV access.
If you observe anyone trying to gain illegal access or riding
irresponsibly, you should remind them that they are jeopardizing access for all
OHV recreation.
Meanwhile you need to provide brief, polite and concise comments, both
written and oral, to the DCNR and Governor Ridge's office. Let them know that
there is a specific need for responsible motorized recreation in the state. This
is your chance to be proactive in protecting your right to ride! If they do not
hear from riders then they will not know of your feelings on motorized
recreation until the gates go up, then it is to late.

We must act now, contact your State Reps, Senators, DCNR, Sec. Oliver, and Gov. Ridge.

We must preserve what we have now.

Thanks
joe

Old 11-10-2000, 01:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Define moratorium,,,,,,

Webster’s dictionary states
1. Agreed period of delay: a formally agreed period during which a specific activity is halted or a planned activity is postponed

2. Allowed delay in meeting obligation: a period during which a person, usually a debtor, has the right to postpone meeting an obligation.

Or in my opinion of this case an informal agreement between the DNCR and environmental groups that if the DNCR agrees to stall or respond with mute action in expanding responsible use of state forestlands for atvs. Then the green groups will not file suit against the DNCR for a stifling array and direction of mandates smuggled into law that state the bureau is not taking into account some bird or plant or ameba that appears in the environment for which we all tread. Or state that the DNCR has not consulted with the fish commission and done required endless surveys of impact for each **** on our tires does to a trail.

In the state of Pennsylvania there are more than 270,000 atvs and 188 miles of trails. If you take all the atvs and line them up end to end it would exceed the total mileage of trails in existence. (And you wonder why people just ride) Half the legal ridding areas in the state are a joke, 10 miles at best. It’s not even worth taking the quad off the trailer.

I ask you to show me one petition, a call drive, a protest anything that has held any weight in state government in swaying any discussion to build more trails and open up rural towns to the might of our commerce. The town of Madra Pa this year I bet made $50,000 for the local firehouse in four poker runs.

While I partially agree with your effort to educate riders on the ills of cutting the rope, I feel your foresight is misplaced. Sierra Club volunteers will document whatever suites there ends no matter who is the adventurer or whatever the means they travel.

Providing brief, polite and concise comments are falling on deaf ears!! Only a counter suit filed against the DNCR will bring any guns to bear against the green plague. It is nothing personal against the DNCR. In fact I believe they expect it……They are waiting for our side to fire a shot back so that middle ground can be reached for all users of our public lands.

Goodnight.