Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

tips for seating tires on rims

Old 12-04-2003, 10:25 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tips for seating tires on rims

I just bought some Carlisle Badlands XTR radials for my Kodiak. I have the tires mounted on the rims but can't get the bead to seat. I have tried the following; removed valve stem core to allow more air into tire, wrapped tire with tie down to hold against rim while trying to inflate, added soap to tire / rim to help seal. With the tires on the rims the beads are close together in the center of the rim and won't seal against the shoulder of the rim to inflate. Any suggestions? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 12-04-2003, 11:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have found that silicone spray works well in combination with the racketing tiedown straps. You might need some help to manipulate the tire to help seal it against the rim as you inflate it.

Old 12-04-2003, 11:21 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Call me crazy but we use to have a little Bobcat tractor and to seat the tire bead we would spray starter fluid around the tire / rim. Then hold onto your eyebrows and throw a match at it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

BOOOOFFFF....bead seated.

Uhhhhh....kids....don't even think about it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-04-2003, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider

And old trick of the trade is transmission fluid, it helps the rubber swell and has always worked for me. I think you should stay away from lighting any type of spray or fluid around your Quad.~lol[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 12-04-2003, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

FIRE !!! FIRE !!! FIRE !!!...LOL... the easiest way to get them to seat, is to have someone else do it... alot of the time, your tire is really too narrow for the rim, if you cant get it to seal... otherwise try a ratchet strap as suggested...

if you can get it to hold air, but won't pop onto the bead, pump up to max air pressure on the tire, then bounce like a basket ball... becareful of over inflating the tires during seating... these are low pressure tires, & Ihave seen tire techs pump them up to 50 psi, before the bead would pop... this can damage the plys, & I'll bet half of the ATV tires out there, whose owners complain about high speed wobbles, have damage plys from over inflating during mounting...

Old 12-04-2003, 08:02 PM
Trailblazer

The local tire shop got the tires to seat for me. The trick was to shake the tires back and forth while trying to inflate them. Now that there mounted any ideas on tire pressure. I am thinking 5 to 6 psi, similar to what I hear most people are running in the ITP ATRs.

Old 12-24-2003, 12:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have mine mounted by my local dealer. However a few months back my son smacked the back end of my atv with his and the rim was squashed. Instead of calling the weekend off I pounded the crap out of the rim and put it back to a mostly round shape. However by the time I was back to camp (before I fixed the rim) the tire was mostly off the rim. So I took som lighter fluid and sprayed around the rim. When it pops (just like on the tire store) th fire is out because there is no oxygen left in the tire. Works perfectly in a bind with NO TOOLS! You do need to get it back on most of the way of course but let the fire do the work for ya! LOL (Seriously)

Old 12-24-2003, 05:21 AM
Range Rover

The trick to the "ratcheting tie down method" is you need to deliver a LOT of air pressure in one quick shot.